Sign in to follow this  
Guest Stratus_Fractus

Faster HDD makes FS run faster?

If you plan on keeping the old 5400 RPM drive along with the new drive, I'd recommend you make the 7200 RPM drive Master and put the OS on it, then use the old drive for storage of files that don't need a fast drive (movies, music, downloaded files etc.).The OS partition is constantly read from and written to as you use your computer. As you launch for exmaple FS2002, it loads several dll and other system files from the OS partition. Also, Windows places the swapfile on the OS partition by default, allthough you can easily change that. That's why it's better to use the faster drive for the OS.FIrst, put the new drive as slave. Create a partition on it. Copy everything you want to keep (your FS2k2 folder, My Documents, any music, videos, downloaded files etc.) to eg. Backup on the new drive. Switch off and change the new drive to master and the old one to slave. Install the OS, making sure that the OS installer does not format or repartition your new drive. When the OS loads up, you can create the addition partitions, and remove the OS from the old drive.Windows XP includes a decent partition/disk management program, but IMO, Powerquest PartitionMagic is a must-have. Makes working with partitions so much easier.By upgrading to a 7200 RPM dribe, FS2002 framerate will remain about the same, but you will noticed improved loading times. Working with other windows applications will be much faster.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Can I also add to all the above suggestions that you should try and keep your drive well cooled - leave some airspace around it. Large capacity drives with fast seek times etc. seem to generate quite a lot of heat - I've just had a 7200 rpm Seagate Barracuda fail after only 6 months, and I suspect heat may be the cause of its early demise.I suspect that a faster drive does have a performance boost - use of the page file will be quicker. I have relatively low-spec system, but I don't have any of the low frame rate & stuttering issues that other people seem to have. I think it may be in part due to having the faster HD...

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Well, I tried to format the drive, but of course with no DVD drive, how do I read the Windows install disk? This is getting really frustrating. :-fume

Nobody has said anything about what format to use on the new drive.NTFS or FAT32? If I use Ghost to clone my old C: to my new drive what format will it be in? Just bought a new WD 80 Special Caviar. I was thinking to use it as a full C: volume drive and use the old drive for backups only. I have been thinking It would be an easy procedure just to clone the old to the new and than shutdown and switch Master and slave jumper cables. I was thinking I wanted to format the new NTFS because FAT32 only allows 32mg partitions and I want the new to be a full 80. What I don't know is ...... What will be the format on the new drive when I get it? Will the very first thing I do will be tp reformat the new drive to NTFS? And then since my old drive is in FAT32 will it let me clone it and automaticly convert it to NTFS? My Drive is coming tomorrow, so I better know more than what I know now. Thanks, Jim Foraker

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Well I'm pretty close to giving up. Tried switching master and slave, nothing happened because I needed Windows installed. But of course my CDROM isn't detected. It works fine and is connected but Windows won't detect it! What should I do now? I can't format into WinXP because of my CDROM, then what should I do? Take it to the repair shop? I sure hope not, they'll probably charge a lot.

Guest Stratus_Fractus

FIXED! Had changed some BIOS settings after installing it the first time, as I had installed it incorrectly and wondering why it wasn't working. Changed those settings back to the default and all is well. Thanks all! Will format over Christmas, gives me something to do and lets me clean my PC out. BTW if you have Norton AntiVirus, if you reformat and reinstall it, it will give you a free subscription for another year, regardless of how long you've had it, probably due to an erased registry.Once again thanks :D

Guest WorkingStiff

Hmmm....if it's properly installed and power is plugged in properly I don't understand why your operating system wouldn't recognize your CD drive.Go to Start/Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/System. From System Properties select the Hardware tab and click on Device Manager. Click on the "+" sign next to DVD/CD-ROM drives to expand the selection; the check to see if you DVD drive is listed there.If it is you can right click on the drive, select "Delete" then close out Control Panel and reboot. The Hardware Wizard should then properly recognize your drive when you reboot. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas about what could be causing the problem.

1. Are your CDROM/DVD and CDR/RW drives showing as being detected by the BIOS during initial bootup? Try pressing the 'Pause' key on your keyboard at the appropriate moment to read the onscreen info.2. How many IDE interfaces do you have on your MoBo? Usually there are 2: a Primary and a Secondary. However more modern MoBo's like mine often offer 4 (2 x ATA100 and 2 x ATA133).I ask this second question because it does make it easier to set up all your drives as Master and in that way none are slowed down by slaves connected to each IDE lead. Also it allows a CDR/RW drive to exist as master on its on IDE interface with nothing else attached. In my experience most CDR/RW drives are happier connected this way.Faced with your situation what I would do is disconnect all your drives except for the new drive which you should jumper as Master on one of the Primary IDE interfaces on the MoBo. Most new drives have this setup as default. Just make sure you have the correct lead for an ATA(UDMA)100/133 drive and the black connector at the end of the lead is connected to the drive and the blue connector at the other end to the MoBo.Then connect your DVD/CDROM to the other (secondary) IDE interface. Usually the lead is not so important and an old ATA33 compatible one will do. Indeed some manufactures recommend it. We're not talking high transfer rates as with ATA100/133 Hard drives.Then what I would do is plug in your Windows XP installation disk, switch on and allow your system to boot. If all is well, and the BIOS has autodetected both drives, XP will take over, format your drive and install any necessary drivers for your DVD/CDROM prior to leading you by the hand for the rest of the installation of the operating system. Just allow it to direct you - it really is quite straightforward. I would suggest that you allow XP to create a 5Gigabyte partition for the operating system for the reasons outlined above.Once XP is up and running and you are happy that all is well you can start thinking about installing your CDR/RW drive. If you have 4 IDE interfaces on the MoBo, great. Connect all drives up as masters. If you only have two IDE interfaces I would disconnect the DVD/CDROM, rejumper it as slave and connect it to the connecter situated half way along the IDE lead on your Secondary IDE. Your CDR/RW will be master on the end of that same lead.Switch on and reboot and check all is well.Now you can temporarily connect your old drive as slave (remember to change the jumper setting) to your new main drive.Switch on, reboot and transfer all the relevant data from your old drive to a temporary folder on your new drive.If you are lucky enough to have 4 IDE interfaces the chances are you may not be able to use the other two until the appropriate drivers are installed. Usually they are provided with RAID in mind but on my MoBo can be used as ATA(UDMA)133, but you do need to install the correct drivers. Otherwise the o/s won't see any drives connected to them.I did all the above some time ago so it's possible the details may not be totally accurate as I am drawing from memory :( Anyone wishing to jump in and straighten things out, please do so.Mike

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Thanks guys, btw read my post a few posts up. ;-)