Sign in to follow this  
cat

Which is the monitor for us.... flat screen or normal?

Guest cliff

I notice that Dell recommend flat screens as giving a clearer picture.However my computer guru believes that a normal, quality screen is more suitable for Flight Simulation.Has anyone experienced the difference?Cliff

With a flat panel you will get flickering and your fps will drop....bottom line...I have 2 monitors, one flat panel and one flat screen (both 17") I use the flat screen for main window and fsnav, guages and all that on the flat panel. Now if you are going to spend a grand on a monitor you can get a flat panel that will be superb but you will have to spend that much......Trust me go for the flat screen, look for something that is .22 dot pitch or less, that will yield you the best pic. Also get the most up to date drivers for the video card you use and make sure that you visit the monitor manufacturer's website and get the latest drivers for the monitor as well. Best of luck to you and I hope this helped...http://fsfreeforall.net/files/prsplash.jpg

I recently bought a 17" flat screen monitorfor A$300.No flicker. Refresh 85hz.No frame rate drop. Good picture. Good colour.No special drivers.Peter Sydney Australia

Guest GiZBUG

You probably will get little help posting this topic in this forum.You will have better luck if you go to forums.anandtech.com or tomshardware.comAlso, try posting this in the Hardware forum here on Avsim. You will probably get more posts and answers that way.>I notice that Dell recommend flat screens as giving a >clearer picture. >>However my computer guru believes that a normal, quality >screen is more suitable for Flight Simulation. >>Has anyone experienced the difference? >>Cliff

Cliff:A high quality flat panel monitor, 17" and better, will yield a very nice picture (a $300 flat panel monitor won't). HOWEVER...Flat panel monitors (FPM) come in .28 pitch or worse. Also, be very aware than many low priced FPMs only yield up to 1024x768! Furthermore, the higest quality monitors will only go up to 1280x1024 which will limit you if you run FS2002 in 1600x1200 like I do.To get the high quality, flicker free picture you will have to go with a monitor from one of the big names and it must have a DVI output for true digital quality. If it comes with an analog (VGA) port only then you will get far less picture definition.FPMs look very cool sitting on your desk, but for the price-to-quality ratio a regular CRT monitor will yield far better results. For the price you will pay for a 19" .29 pitch, 1280x1024 capable FPM you can easily purchase a 22 in" flat screen CRT that will look better cost far less and yield far higher resolutions.22" FPMs from Sony are now popping out that give 1920x1200 res and .25 pitch which I WOULD buy in a heart beat EXCEPT I sure as hell ain't payin' $2500-$3000 for a monitor!!!Personally, I've had my finger on the purchase button for a 19" FPM about 10 times now, to go with my cool new system, but decided that the cool / wow factor of the monitor sitting on my desk is not worth being limited to 1280x1024 when my Radeon 9700 can go far higher.Just MHORegards,Mike T.

I just bought a Sony 21" Black CRT Monitor with 2048x max res. Recommended res is 1600x1200x85mhz. That's where I run it. She's a beaut. Great Pic and it only cost $527 with free shipping at newegg.com with no sales tax. If you are going to run games, CRTs are much better. The bigger the better.

Guest cliff

The bottom line (unless price is no object) seems to be a good flat screen monitor. So my guru retains his reputation.My thanks to all of you for taking the trouble to answer Hey Mike what's all this about eating small animals? Like rats and mice and puppie dogs' tails?Cliff (In sunny, blue skies Spain...a bit different from not too far North of here!)

Eizo L565. 1280 res. Leadtek GS Ti4600 via digital output.Result = stunning FS picture.

Like Mike, my finger has been hovering over the "Buy" button recently.Hitachi have just produced a 17" 1280x1024 flat panel monitor with a response time of an incredible 16ms. It retails for

Mike,My flat screen monitor has a very nice picture!I'm not dreamin'!)Come over this afternoon and have a look. I'm only 20 000km away! Wink!Peter Sydney Australia