Sign in to follow this  
N562Z

Nice trick: Viewing instruments in the virtual cockpit

I tend to fly with the virtual cockpit at 1024x768 with the zoom level at around 60%. The drawback of this is that the cockpit instruments aren't very legible. If I want to look at the instruments in detail, I either have to hit the zoom button a bunch of times (and then have to try to zoom back out to my original setting), or I have to open the regular panel (which I don't like to do unless I am pressing buttons).I downloaded the update to FSUIPC recently, and noticed that there was a tab for user configurable key commands. Here is what I did:I set the space key so that when it is pressed the "zoom 1x" command is sent. Then, I set the "when the key is released" option to "zoom in".Now what happens is that I can hold down the space key to get a nice, close view of the instruments. This works great when turning to a precise heading or whatever. When I let go of the space key, the zoom level pops right back to my usual setting (I am not sure why "zoom in" is the command that does this, but it works).This, for me, mimics taking a close look at the instruments for a moment, without having to do a bunch of zooming and panning and without taking my hand off the flight control. The 1x setting is a nice compromise that still keeps the outside of the plane in view.

I guess I have to temper my original enthusiasm somewhat, because the zoom level always defaults back to 50% rather than how it is configured.Activecamera? Is that something within fs2k2 or an add-on?

Ahhh .. thanks, I will give it a look.I have figured out how to get the zoom toggle working nicely with FSUIPC. THere is a key command called "View1 Zoom Set". All you have to do is enable this for both the press and release of the key, and put a number in the parameter field for each (I found that 75 for the press and 40 for the release works well for me = a little over 100% for the zoom and around 65% when it snaps back to my default view)

Guest groundpounder75

You can also make the VC brighter by editing the respective aircraft.cfg file and under the [LIGHTS] section you can add the following till the right brightness is desired:light.x = 4, -2.27, 0.00, 1.40, fx_vclightx = the next number in the sequence of lights you have in this sectionI added this line a few times to the C172 file to make the VC much easier to use while flying. I love the VC.

Nice tips everyone, thanks. I like the VC, especially in airliners with their usually very limited outside visibility and especially in replay mode, so this tip is very usefulAlex ChristoffN562ZMinneapolis, MNThermobulb@aol.com

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.