Sign in to follow this  

Season Fix??????????????

Hi all,I just recently noticed that all my seasons are out by a month, does anyone know how to fix this? It's a bit annoying to be flying in December and have FS2002 identify it as Autumn and not Winter in the Northern Hemisphere, and Spring when it's Summer in the Southern Hemisphere. :-hmmmMatt

I don't think there is a solution. Sunrise and sunset times are well off too. If there is a way of changing this stuff I'd like to hear it...

Guest WorkingStiff

Shouldn't a utility like FS RealTime work in a case like this? As far as I know it takes the system date and time and feeds it to FS2002 through FSUIPC. I imagine this would force FS to load the correct seasonal textures; I speculating here since I've never noticed the problem.Search for "realtime_108373.zip" in the AVSIM file library.

Guest Lindy

Well, I think that offically winter doesn't actually begin until mid December sometime anyway. So as far as FS is concerned, it IS still autumn.-Lindy

Lindy, you are absolutely correct. Officially "winter" doesn't start until December 21st. Until then, the system sees it as being autumn (fall) out. :)

So, by that rationale, does southern hemisphere summer officially start on December 21st?I assume that this is hard-coded into the sim and isn't configurable anywhere?

Hi,If I remember correctly, FS shows Winter effective 15 December.BTW, one related question.I notice some part of Northern Hemisphere already show Winter appearance sicne a few weeks age. However, in term of texture loading in the sim, I see a partcial loading of Winter texture in an area and that appears as Fall and Winter texture are segregated by a streight line. Is this something relates to limitation of my hardware capability most likely its of video card, or is it FS problem ??Thank youYuki

Correct.But, and that's a BIG BUT, you will notice the season progressing from autumn to winter. Just as day textures slowly give way to night textures, so autumn textures give way to winter textures.That way the winter area slowly progresses down from higher altitudes and south from the poles as time goes by instead of giving a sharp boundary where you have green one day and white the next.

Winter textures will start appearing during late autumn. As winter grows near, more and more autumn textures are replaced by winter textures (I think depending on altitude and geographic location) until finally all are winter textures.That's one great thing actually, this blending of seasons to give a decent approximation of the transition periods.

>Winter textures will start appearing during late autumn. As >winter grows near, more and more autumn textures are >replaced by winter textures (I think depending on altitude >and geographic location) until finally all are winter >textures. >That's one great thing actually, this blending of seasons to >give a decent approximation of the transition periods. I can't say that I've really noticed this...but if it's true then it is quite impressive.I think the original question was can we change the seasonal/time data. I suspect that we can't, but hoping that someone will find a way. I personally would like to be able to change sunrise/sunset times to match what I can see looking out the window.

Guest christian

yes, I do :)I have fixed it for New Zealand and I'm currently typing a tutorial, which seems to take forever. Read my old tmfdoc2.zip (here at avsim) to get a vague idea how to do it if you can't wait for a more thorough tutorial.Indeed, the season transitions are hardcoded, you can only define the textures for one month. One month doesn't go form 1st to 31st, but instead from something like 20th to 20th. This is something that can't be changed.A sharp texture line indeed means that this is the transition zone between say spring and summer.There was a file for FS2000 which had the timezones defined rather brilliantly and worked really well. It should also work for FS2002 but I don't know where to get it...Cheers, Christian

Ok, well thanks everyone it all makes sense now, I hadn't realised about the transition periods which are entirely logical, and had just been going by what the calendar (although i just noticed it does say winter solstice on the 22nd of Dec...D'OH! :-doh) and the weather indicated. I can quite happily go about my simming again. (-:.And I look forward to your tutorial Christian, it never hurts to strive for that last little bit of accuracy :-)Matt

It may be landclass dependent. I have FSLandclass for Europe installed and noticed patchy snowtextures appearing as I neared Munich on a flight from Dortmund (Germany) last week. As I got closer to the Alps (thus, higher elevation) the amount increased.

Microsoft gave FS 5 seasons:SpringSummerAutumnWinterHard WinterSo I would think it is impossible to match the seasons to the sim. Anyone know what the definitions are between plain old winter and hard winter?ChasW

I think that if you met 'hard winter' you'd know the difference. He'd have you on the floor in a state of cryogenic suspension before you knew what hit you. On the other hand, if you just wear a woolly hat and a warm coat, 'plain old winter' gets a bit scared and runs away.