Sign in to follow this  

My Directx 9 release candidate results

Guest JonP01

I've seen some extraordinary claims recently for incredible performance and visual improvements from individuals who have chosen to load Directx 9 beta / RC onto their systems. To be honest I have had a great amount of trouble believing some of these claims. Well, to cut to the chase, I would venture to suggest people might be suffering from the placebo effect or they have incidentally "un-broken" something that was broken previously. As far as I'm concerned, I could not see any reason why there should be any material change to any aspect of FS2002 performance or visuals by performing this upgrade. So I thought I would try it myself.And the results are quite simple. Absolutely no change whatsoever. Planes fly just the same (as expected), no improvement in visuals (again as expected), anti-aliasing just the same (ditto) and performance exactly the same - not only in FS2002 but everything else as well.I must add, however, that it appears to be totally stable on my setup. No glitches, instability or any problems whatsoever.

Same here. I posted in an earlier thread. No problems and no changes.All is wellBobG

hi, I saw a big change in bluries, and a slight increase in fps and no I dont have a "placebo effect" because I have already gone back and forth between Directx 8 and directx9 using the directx9 uninstaller. Ofcourse as should be expected by everyone I had no improvement on how planes fly(whats wrong with how planes fly in FS?), FSAA, the only visual improvement was more like a bug fix than an improvement which drastically improved Blury textures. Everyones system is different. You saw few improvements but others might have and probably will see different results. I do reccomend everyone tries Directx 9 for themselves and if possible find an uninstaller so you can go back to Directx8 if you need too. Andrew :-wave ps. I forgot to use spellcheck :-) )

Personally, I went from 20fps to 40fps! A 100% increase and I defy you to tell me otherwise, how DARE you insinuate this placebo effect crap, let me tell you something bucco....opps, nevermind, I forgot that I upgraded from a P4 2.0 to a P4 2.8@3.2Gig, whoops :-lol.Oh well, I knew SOMETHING made my system faster, too bad it wasn't DX9 it would have saved me 2 Grand!!! :-lolRegards,Mike T.

Guest JonP01

LOL Mike. I guess I might be giving placebos a bad name here. Afterall, if the mind thinks things are better, then I guess they are, even if they aren't!!!!! If you know what I mean. Actually I didn't even see as much as 1 fps difference in any app I tried. I guess the problem is the placebo effect is so powerful...

hello,um yea... all I was saying was that I did see improvements. Sorry if I somehow insulted you... :-) :-roll AndrewKRAL :-wave

Guest odog

here we go again! I saw very little in framerate improvements, I will again say I 'think' my textures are less blurry. The one thing that I guess is the only reason to install DX9 is if you have CFS3 installed and want to use FS2k2 online. Do you guys know of any other way to solve the 8.2 multiplayer glitch? My buddy is trying to get FS online after CFS3 without much luck...please advise...Because he uses 98 and will not be able to roll back like XP. Totally stable on my rig...joe

Just kidding Andrew, joke, joke, joke! :-) Come on dude lets lighten up and have some fun!!!:-beerchugMike T.

I decided to bite the bullet and install DX9. It marginally increased my frame rates but not to an extent that would have been noticeable were it not for the FS2002 FPS counter (16.5 in high density scenery to 17.0).I can't comment on the blurries as I wasn't expecting a change there, but I will say that I didn't notice any during my last flight, which is a little unusual as I often watch them when flying the boring stages of a long flight. I'll pay more attnetion this weekend when I next fly.I suspect that the impact DX9 would have on your system is much like many other tweaks - it will vary from one setup to another. I've not seen much in the way of complaints from anyone having taken the plunge, so, perhaps, it's worth the risk finding out. You never know!

Guest gasebah

Dear Mike,I really find that making fun of people who had an improvement by going to directX 9 is not o.k.. Remember every system is different and your milage will vary. I converted to DX9 and when I ran DXdiag the little white box jumped like crazy and finally it jumped out of the monitor and on the floor. Unfortunately our cat was so tempted by the little white box that it caught it and finally ate it. Now the little white box is gone. I think I will have to go for a complete reinstall.Alex

Guest JonP01

Alex,I hope your cat is OK. With a bit of luck, the DX9 white box box might just come back out wrapped in a furball. I know that's what happened when my cat ate my DX spinning cube. If this happens, you can then clean it with "Pino-cleen" and then re-install into your computer's Dxdiag testing applet. Hope this helps.

I hope you can help me too....You see when I installed DirectX 9 and ran DXDIAG I was amazed at how fast the Direct 3D test ran, in fact it was like warp-speed compared to previous versions... but then when it stopped the letters appeared to have rubbed off the spinning-cube (I thought it must have been 'friction' due to the higher speed of DirectX 9!) anyway, since then I keep finding letters under my desk - I found everything except the X...... I can always make an X in MSPaint I guess?Here's a tip that worked for me - If it happens to you - when you find the letters, they fit perfectly (horizontally) in the floppy-drive slot, so you can get them back inside the PC that way!Seriously, though, on my system there was no appreciable difference but I havent tried it Multiplayer yet. I believe that was the only stated changes - but that spinning box - wow! - somethings happening faster somewhere! :)

HI,Can anyone tell me if Directx 9 is compatible with the VATSIM Squawkbox stuff for online flying.I did read somewhere that it caused problems!!RegardsDK

Guest Lionel Goh

8.2 did cause problems.9.0 works fine with SB.

Guest ozhero

Wow... When I upgraded to DX9 that little white box spun so fast that it actually went faster than the speed of light and my whole flightsim setup went into the future....I'm now running FS2004 on my P6 10Ghz whhhoooooooooo :-)