Sign in to follow this  
Guest P3_Super_Bee

The hunt for tiny runways

Guest outtatimeiii

I been flying a lot around Northern Indiana and been practicing STOL on tiny tiny grass strips. I been getting very good in the C140 and Stearman, easily landing and taking off in :) .Thanks

Guest P3_Super_Bee
Guest Ken Meier

Porter's Place by Don Moser will give you a good challange, found here in the library, search for porters_place.zip It was made for FS2000 right after the FSD Porter was introduced, it's 600 feet and surounded by trees. It most likely will work OK in FS2002. K

Table Rock, Oregon ;-) Can't remember the Airport code though.

Alaska is the place to go. This is where there are a lot of short strips. This is the most popular way to get around in Alaska, by plane or boat.... Hardly any roads.

SABA is cool and with IWI scenery installed it is even better. Even has "STOL" painted on the runway.Ken

Guest outtatimeiii

Alaska sounds fun, but its gonna be one heck of a journey getting there :) . I like flying to places, but not leaving my plane behind. If I wanna go somewhere, I fly there LOL. Thats like a 2000 mile flight, and thats just to Juneau LOL! Its gonna be a lot of itty bitty trips because I know a Stearman cant get much farther than 300 miles at ~80kts without a pit stop.Perhaps I can book a flight on a something a bit more modern, a Fokker 100 instead, and throw my dissassmbled Stearman in the cargo hold LOL.

Guest Leesw

I thought everything was supposed to be BIGGER in Alaska :)

Guest H_Kev55

Are you a Hoosier?So am I.I'll get you some ICAO codes and let you go nuts.Actually, the small strips are easy to get to because MS didn't model the terrain correctly.Shades State Park outside of Waveland, Indiana is surrouned by hundreds of trees. I've seen a stub wing Cherokee go down hard at that one.And just outside of my hometown of Russellville, is a small grass strip located between cornfieds, known locally as Durhams. Another tight one.Shades is 13 miles SW of KCFJ and Durhams is 15 S of KCFJ.KJ dcboard.cgi?az=view_attachment&file=3d866b9308147336.jpg

Guest P3_Super_Bee
http://www.airnav.com/Go into the fuel section and you can plan a crosscountry trip with fuel stops. Another little cool FS thing you can use from the trip planner is how much fuel costs are for the trip. As the basic purpose of the database is for fuel costs, can plan either the shortest route, or the cheapest.:-outtahttp://publish.hometown.aol.com/p3superb/images/675-2fs.jpg