Sign in to follow this  
Chris Willis

FS Sky World: Yes, I am an idiot

I've tried, I've really tried, to answer this question by searching the forums here and on the FSW support site. That said, I admit I am pretty dense but there are a couple of things that I am having difficulty figuring out.I normally use real weather with FS Meteo, and I have FS Sky World set to randomly load cloud sets. What I am not clear on is whether the selected cloudset will correspond with the weather conditions. Will I ever get thunderclouds when there isn't thunderstorms? Is FSW just randomly picking clouds from all of the sets or is it picking from a group that reflects the current weather? I like the idea of having some variety in the clouds, but I am hoping the program will just be "fire and forget" and not start kicking out some weird results.Thanks in advance!

Hi,You will never loose any clouds formation or metar from the 3rd party generator in fs2k2, if there is cumulus you will see cumulus, if there is T-Storm you will see T-Storm etc. Fs Sky World replace the visual but don't change the metar information.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

At the risk of feeling an idiot myself, I've always wondered about that! LOL

Well, I'm an even bigger idiot then - I've never fully understood how this program works...Am I supposed to select one cumulus set, one CB set, one hi-mid, and that's it? When I press random, what is it doing - same thing?I keep hearing people talk about setting this up to do random cloud sets in conjunction with FSMeteo? How do you do that?Also - what are the correct FSUPIC settings for thickness etc?Thanks!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ok - as there appears to be an amnesty on idiocy, :D I have to hold my hand up and say that I fail to understand quite a lot about this program.I know it's very good at what it does by the complimentry comments it receives. I also know that Chris Willis and FSW are top notch at this sort of thing and my lack of understanding is, no doubt, down to my own shortcomings.Having said that, it appears I'm not alone, so I'll try and sum up the questions that have always lurked in my mind and hopefully are representative of others sharing my lack of insight:1) The "random" aspect - is this function a means of simulating variable weather (as far as cloud coverage is concerned) in the absence of a real weather program?2) I'm a little conscious of the number of external programs I'm running whilst flying in FS2002 these days and the impact on my frame rates. I use FSscreen and ActiveWeather, and I wondered if, subject to the answer to question 1, I could achieve the desired visual improvements by simply installing the cloudpacks without running the main program?3) Ryan's question above covers this - presumably it's only realistic to have one set of cloud textures of each type appearing at any one time and is that how the randomising effect deals with it - or am I wrong and in fact, it's quite realistic to have more than one texture of any given cloud type at the same time?Seriously, I'm sorry if this plainly obvious to most of you, it's just not to me.

Hi, You only have two option and with fs sky world se you will never loose 3rd party metar information in both case. If the weather in fs2k2 is clear, there will be no weather, you need 3rd party generator to have weather or manually setting in fs2k2 weather option.You can have up to 3 differents set loaded in fs2k2 at the same time, cumulus, thunderstorm and high level clouds, you will never loose them and the weather information stucture will remain the same as the fs2k2 default.Basic fs sky world se start#1 Select your Cumulus Set, press Install buttons #2 Select your Cb/Storm Set , press Install buttons #3 Select your High/Mid level Set, press Install buttons(you can shut down fs sky world se if you want at this time)#4 Start Fs2002 by your default fs2k2 IconsAuto Install This feature Install clouds/texture set during your flight from 5 sec to 60min depends on your settings. You will see new clouds visual set when the clouds/metar information is updated from the 3rd party generator.The procedure of auto install and more, is in the fs sky world se readme, never shut down fs sky world se if you are using auto install feature.Ps: Fs sky world normal edition is not available anymore.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Stephan

And what does the Random button do?StephanBTW: Idiots of the world, UNITE!

>>Basic fs sky world se start >#1 Select your Cumulus Set, press Install buttons >#2 Select your Cb/Storm Set , press Install buttons >#3 Select your High/Mid level Set, press Install buttons Chris - I think what I and others don't understand is the *random* operation. When I select random and install, does Sky World perform steps 1, 2 & 3 automatcally OR does it just install one set?Thanx for a great product,Vic Baron

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi, "does Sky World perform steps 1, 2 & 3 automatcally OR does it just install one set?"In the actual default fs sky world se set up , it will pick only one set before fs2k2 is started. If you manage to copy the cumulus and t-storm in each single folder of fs sky world 2002 except v-sky folders, it will pick by random cumulus and t-storm at the same time. Having t-storm and cumulus in each folder increase the chance to see more differents clouds visual with auto install, it will select the contents of the folders.Random Buttom: it pick one random selected set(folder) on the list, press install button and you start fs2k2.ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis