Sign in to follow this  

Random Icing and Turbulence in clouds?

Hi Again Damian :)Are you sure its realy that realistic: 'Random Icing and Turbulence in clouds'?My speedometerneedle is alway's heavy vibrating when in turbulence, and there's alway's a lot of turbulence...no matter what kind of flight?Do you have further more tips to fine tune FSUIPC perhapst?thx again,fmcdude

I'm not sure what replies you've had to previous posts on this subject, so forgive me if I repeat what you may already know. In FSUIPC there is an option to have turbulence maxed out at a certain level. I leave it at around 7 (the default) which is reasonably realistic. I'm not sure if you are a RW pilot, but in real life it is perfectly normal to have turbulence. Granted, on most high altitude flights the turbulence isn't as bad, and in fact is often all but non-existant. However, down low it is rare NOT to have it, and it can be caused by either convection (heat rising from the ground - not something you get much of in northern climates in winter) and/or mechanical turbulence (wind blowing over objects that deflects it). If you have FSUIPC set at 7, it gives a fairly realistic impression of turbulence (as realistic as FS can get anyway), and you will see your IAS bouncing around quite a bit. If you are getting really large deviations (like +/- 20 kts let's say), then you want to up your departure/climb and approach speeds a bit. Add about another 10 kts. The trick here is to average out the readings. So, if you are on approach and you want to hold 90 kts, and your IAS is bouncing by about 20 or so kts, hold an attitude that has your IAS bouncing between 80 and 100 kts. That will give you an average of around 90. Now it's a rough guess, but it's close enough. We'd all like to be deadly accurate all the time, but the atmosphere still rules. Sometimes we just have to roll with the punches :-).On the icing thing, I have it on if I'm flying an airplane without deicing equipment. Sounds backwards, I know, but the reason for that is that the boots on the Baron (for eg) don't work in FS. So, even though you have your de-icers or anti-icers turned on, they have no effect and you still accumulate a large amount of ice (pitot heaters do work though). It would be realistic to accumulate a large amount of ice in an aircraft that doesn't have deicers, so that's why I turn the option on when I'm flying light aircraft without deice equipment. If I'm flying something that does have deicing equipment, I turn it off.OK, I probably told you a bunch of things you know already, but hopefully it helped a little. Enjoy the bouncy ride - it's reasonably realistic :-).Glenn

Thx Glenn for your explenation, its sure more then i ask ;)

Yeah, I'm kinda bad for that :-). Being a climatologist doesn't help sometimes :-). Anyway, hope it helped somewhat :-).Glenn