Sign in to follow this  

Should I Wait For FS 2004?

I have been fairly inactive with regards to MS flightsim for about a year, due to various work obligations. Recently, I bought a new computer system, and am now faced with the daunting task of reinstalling FS 2000 and the billions of add-ons I have for that, or to go out and buy FS 2002 and try to find all the upgrades for the stuff I already have. One of my biggest dissapointments is that Proflight 2000 doesn't seem to work with FS 2002, but I am more concerned with whether or not all the add-ons that are now coming out will actually work with FS 2004. I've been picking up rumors here and there, and one of the rumors I've been hearing about is that Microsoft will use a new way to model airplanes, which makes all the old add-ons incompatible.I'm sure it's all old stuff to you guys, but some guidance is appreciated. I'm kind of leaning towards just reinstalling FS 2000 and be done with it.Ricardo

FS2002 was a complete and major overhaul over FS2000. While I might be incorrect, I doubt that MS is going to overhaul the file system for planes/addons in 2004. I am guessing that the next release will have improvements to weather, atc, flight planning and panels/vc. If you have a new computer your really missing out alot on fs2002, and besides who knows what the future holds-- I say enjoy it now! :)Bill

I agree with Bill.There have been a wealth of new supplementry programs and add-ons for FS2002 during the last year which have taken it to an uprecedented level of realism and fun. What will or won't be on offer in the next release is anybody's guess at the moment, but in similar fashion to buying a new P.C., you can wait forever if you're wanting to be sure you have the most uptodate version you can.FS2002 is outstanding and leaves FS2000 well in the dark - go get it. :)

Buy now...FS2002 is too much a marvel to miss out on a year of enjoyment...And third partie add-on's like FSNav (and many more) make it all the better. Bob (Lecanto, Fl)AMD, Athlon XP, 1800+MSI, K7T266 XP ProPC 2100 DDR, 1024 MBXP, Home Edition Elsa GLadiac 920, GF3/64Mb andPNY, Verto nVidia TNT 2-M64/32WD, 100 MB, 7200, Ultra 100Sound Blaster, Audigy MP3+CH Prod, VPP Yoke - Sound CardCH Prod, Pedals - Sound Card

Guest Van

I have to agree with Bill also.FS 2002 introduced many new technologies to flight simming that were not there in previous issues. I believe MS will try to perfect many of the features rather than start all over again with a completely new platform. I also doubt the GMAX modeling system will be replaced or changed a great deal as this was probably the greatest of the changes created for FS 2002.If you haven't used FS 2002 , then you really don't know what you are missing and if you have tried it, then I don't know how you could go back a step and fly the empty sterile skies with FS 2000.Just my thoughts :)http://www.yeodesigns.com/signatures/yeode...nner-van2-1.jpg[/img][/url]

In fact, from what they've said it seems that Microsoft are sticking with Gmax-modeled aircraft, and dumping the older FSDS code. Of course, it looks as though the new FSDS will produce code that will be supported. I think there will be plenty of aircraft from FS2002 that carry over. Get it now! You won't regret it.

Bill Womack

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit my FS Blog or follow me on Twitter (username: bwomack).

Intel i7-950 OC to 4GHz | 6GB DDR3 RAM | Nvidia GTX460 1gb | 2x 120GB SSDs | Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Ricardo,Like you, I was an avid user of ProFlight 2000, but I must say that the default ATC is not that bad, especially when used wuth the add-on FSNAV. If you want more realism, VATSIM offers realtime traffic control, and Radar Contact is now offering a new version for FS2002. I enjoyed FS2000, but I could never go back. There are so many top notch aircraft, both payware and freeware, available I only wish I had more time to fly!Dale