Sign in to follow this  

Cloud Transitions

I bought ActiveSky wxRE yesterday. I downloaded and installed FSUIPC 2.95 yesterday. I copied the FSUPIC.INI into my modules folder from the installation directory after installing ActiveSky.I just finished a little joy flight around PHLI (Lihue, HI). I had ActiveSky running in the background in "Online" mode. When I took off from PHLI, all was clear and beautiful. I headed south. When I got close to PHBK, the weather suddenly changed! Suddenly, it was partly cloudy, Then 10 seconds later, it got mostly cloudy. By the time I flew over PHBK, it was completely overcast.PHLI and PHBK are 30 miles apart and each has a weather station. Each one is on an opposite side of the island. It appears PHBK is on the windward side receiving more clouds and rain while PHLI is on the leeward side receiving less clouds and rain.I was kind of suprised to see such a change in weather. I could see way past the island in clear sky until it was suddenly cloudy all around. I was expecting I guess to see a cloud bank as I got closer instead of it suddenly showing up around me.I'm not sure if this is per design or if I don't have something set right. I suppose I can see a "transition" but it wasn't as gradual as I thought it would be.If this is per design, then I can understand. My local weatherman can't always predict the weather right--even with thousands of dollars worth of computer equipment, so I can understand if a $14.95 program has a tough time.Thanks for the help and a great program!Peteman_RBoise, IdahoP.S. - I also have MyTraffic installed and running.

LOL, I too wish you could "see weather coming" from a distance like in real life, but that's an FS thing, not AS. That has yet to be modelled by MS, so until they do, there isn't much anyone can do about it. As for the transitions you can adjust the rate of transition, but it almost sounds like you have the "Update METAR on New Station" box checked. If that's the case, the transitions will be rather sudden as you cross into a new reporting area. What I did was uncheck that, and set my update period to 5 minutes. That should give me pretty good accuracy on the various stations without quite so an abrupt a change. Hope that helps,Glenn