Sign in to follow this  
Guest mmcevilley

Winds Aloft when Destination Locks

Guest mmcevilley

This may have been reported already - if so - disregard ...When the destination weather locks, winds aloft are ignored in favor of surface winds. I'm using a weather lock distance of 60 miles and when 60 miles from destination I can easily be at 12000 ft and would expect winds to be as reported for that altitude. As an example: I was descending on approach to KATL with winds aloft (as reported by KATL) of 260 @ 52. Once I got within 60 miles the winds at 12000 ft changed to 290 @ 6 which were the surface winds reported at KATL.-michael

Pretty sure that destination lock will lock all weather conditions including winds aloft.

I experienced that too. I was using PSS Dash 8 and the computer that calculates the torque % got very confused, because I was at 11000ft, the weather locked on destination, and he gave me a torque of 110% on cruise, way in overspeed zone, because he calculates the % with QNH, temperature and altitude.

I experienced something just like that. I flew from Merrill Field, Alaska (PAMR) to Ketchikan (PAKT) where surface winds were calm. Winds aloft were reported as one thing but I received nothing but calm winds at FL300 for 715 miles.Otherwise I've had no problems with this marvelous product.Bradley Dykesoops...forgot to mention the usual:AMD XP 2100+1 gig Samsung DDR 2700 ramSoyo Dragon Ultra moboWinXP Homeextras:Radar Contact 3FSD aircraftand wxRE

Guest mmcevilley

>Pretty sure that destination lock will lock all weather >conditions including winds aloft. What is or is not locked is not the issue. The issue is that when the destination lock occurs the destination surface winds are applied from the ground up through all the winds aloft altitudes. As a result, you will experience surface wind conditions despite cruising at an altitude at which winds aloft apply (3000 ft on up). Here's the KATL information from my last flight:KATL 282253Z 26009KT 10SM SCT250 10/M02 A3026 RMK A02 SLP252Here's the KATL winds aloft:3K:311710 6K:3022-04 9K:2618-11 12K:2419-17 ... and so on.Now, when more than 60 miles from KATL at 12000 the winds displayed are 240 @19. Within 60 miles of KATL the lock occurs and although cruise altitude is still 12000 the winds are displayed as 260 @9: the reported surface winds. That should not be, they should remain at the locked winds aloft reported dir/vel until below 3000 ft.-michael

OK....I think this MAY also be a bug. I have been following this for many flights. Regardles of altitude FS always gives me the wind aloft direction from the active station (surface winds), wind speed it seems to make up by its self as it bears no resemblence to anything in the metars/taff...Example:altitude=fl350AS winds aloft=34k/250@76active station surface winds=060@07fs reports winds aloft @fl350 060@77..Contact new station &/or refresh:altitude=fl350AS winds aloft=34k/250@76active station surface winds=325@15fs reports winds aloft @fl350 325@57..Or try climbing to fl390:altitude=f390AS winds aloft=39k/260@88active station surface winds=325@15fs reports winds aloft @fl390 325@99Toughts/observations anybody?nb: wxRE is on its own pc direct to the net, linked via WideFS. Since using wxRE via a proxy server results in "Error5".

Seems I should have read the Manual a little closer....DOH!>>Winds Aloft Simulation:When checked, winds aloft will be simulated when outside 500nm of a valid US FD reporting station, or when you are within range of your FORCED station (to keep winds consistent for landing vectors).When unchecked, winds aloft will be the same as the surface winds if you are outside 500nm of a valid US FD reporting station.Actual FD winds aloft processing will occur when you are within 500nm of a valid US FD reporting station regardless of this setting (unless you are within range of your FORCED station).<