Sign in to follow this  

Three shots of Heavy Dense Cumulus (pics)

Will we ever get this in FS?There s ony one way through and thats over the top taken over Scotland at 16000 feetPeter

Guest HeavyFan

WOW! Awesome Cloud PICS!! I wish we could get that kind of clouds in FS at high Altitude!-:) But it looks like an FPS Killer if we did! LOL, What would happen if you no choice but to fly through it due to traffic in the area?? Bad Turbulence or what? hehe MIKE-:)

Simply stunning! When I come of age and get a decent job, I guarantee you - I'll be up there ;-).

Guest gasebah

I think we are not that far away. If you use FSSkyWorld in the high end version and set your cloud density to 100% and set enough cloud layers you alomost have that look.Of course Fs2002 will become a slideshow in the process :-).Alex

>What would happen if you no choice but to fly through it due to traffic in the area?? Bad Turbulence or what? hehe

Hello Peter! Great shots as usually! as for will F'S ever get clouds to look anything like what one sees out the window who knows! I canmake up clouds in Maya Unlimited that would blow your socks off sir(and because of Maya's particle effects and it's ability to fully model wind gravity,temperature.. well you get the picture) But getting the above into F.S oh well!. Since I've been playing aroundwith it I am getting to know how much it takes to truly simulate something as complex as the atmosphere (and that's just learning how to use the tools). Anyway it's allways a great pleasure to have you around. Dan

DanSorry you have lost me :-) what is Maya unlimited? do you have a link?We are slowly getting a better weather depiction and dynamics. making clouds more solid (visually from altitude) is difficult.In MSFS we have the problem with distance and clouds flattening out into a stratus look when high above.Dan when your next in Europe do tell me so we can get together :-)Peter

Peter, The main problem is the frame rate hit, this is why all the fuzz with the far clouds, disappearing clouds, layer in 2d instant of 3d etc. It is not hard to do like your picture. You will never have those type of clouds with the ms default "clouds". We need some 5 ghz system to have room for weather, Ms always eat fps in others area :-)If you want you can email me if you want new specific clouds for you with your preference thats you can use for fs2k2!ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Guest Pabra

>Will we ever get this in FS? "Let's all pray...."

PeterAmazing cloud formations, so dense and white against the deep blue sky If we could get the sky colour transition it would help big time.I,m also waiting for the VFR scenery for Scotland, from what I,ve seen from the 1st release if its as good..,boy ohh boy.I,m having a blast with my new Marchetti fly around East Anglia atmThe combination really is "as real as it gets".We make great clouds up here due to the amount of practice we have :).What part of Scotland were you over at the time Peter?.Always enjoy you posts, its great to see how far FS has come but still lots to do.CheersJohn EGPG

JohnThese were taken between Carlisle and Talla, and yes you can get quite a change in cloud formations over bonny Scotland.CheersPeter

Hi Peter Maya Unlimited is a high end animation program similar to3DS Max but with much better animation and modeling tools But at6999 U.S dollars and up it is a little pricey! (most of the CGI stuff you see in the movies is done with Maya) Anyway one literallycan "paint" fully 3D clouds with it's tools and then apply other tools to fully simulate things like wind,temp etc. The program also has true fluid dynamic tools as well. Hope this is of some help to you. Dan

ChrisFirst many thanks for your fantastic work in giving us clouds which have transformed MSFS.I appreciate the problems you are up against with the structure of MSFS and the restrictions those limitations place on you.It would be interesting as an experiment to create a dense fairly overcast block of clouds as above with the proviso that users have to turn their sliders down on other areas of the sim to get usable frame rates?I can send some shots (original) over to you if you want a modelthanks again for your cloud workPeter

Great photos as allways Peter!OT - what camera did you use?Wolfgang