Sign in to follow this  

V1.6 Winds Aloft?

Hi Damian,Thanks for the update V1.6! Should be really great!I seem to be having a bit of an issue with the winds aloft feature now. I parked myself at 3 Canadian airports (each greater than 500 nm from the USA) and received only the following in the Winds Aloft window: (Simulated) ID: OFFLINE DIST: 9999. There were no winds depicted, just that message only. I then went to Boston and tried it there, but still got the same message and no winds aloft. Is there a switch I need to throw or haven't thrown? I disabled the "Winds Aloft Simulation" after not getting any readings, but still got the same message. Any suggestions?Thanks Damian :-)Glenn

Is your name Damian? You know, this could (probably is) just something I haven't configured on my end, OR it could be I got one bad download from NOAA/whoever and the winds weren't included (which is NOT AS' fault), OR I didn't use the correct file, OR it actually is something in AS that is a small bug. That makes the chances of the problem actually being in wxRE one out of FOUR. The rest lie either at my end, or the site(s)'s that the wx is coming from. Regardless, I have found Damian's customer service to be unsurpassed, and he's always answered my questions thoroughly, politely and with a lot of help. That's more than I can say for most outfits I've seen on the net that offer payware.Now, I noted your last posting on this, and I might suggest this. If the fellow you told off as "getting some extra time on the computer from Mommy and Daddy" was "immature", then by your standards, that makes you pre-potty-trained. GO AWAY AND GROW UP! If you don't like the program, don't use it, but don't take up valuable bandwidth from those of us who are really trying to get/offer CONSTRUCTIVE ideas here. Thank you!Glenn

Glenn - little question to this issue: Do you use a software firewall with rules configurated to ActiveSky?First, I got same experiences like you. Later I detect, that wxRE needs connection to another server for aloft datas, but my firewall was in "total block"-mode and refused all other negotiations.Take a look for it and - in case you have a firewall - put your firewall temporarily in "rule wizard"-mode to define the new connection rule.Hope this helps...has done for me.

Thanks Chris. No, no firewall running. It is very possible that I simply got one bad download, and I really should have tried several to be sure I actually have a problem. I'll have another look at it tonight when I get home and see if this issue repeats. By virtue of the fact that I've not seen any other posts with a similar complaint so far, I'm starting to suspect the problem is on my end ("finger trouble in the cockpit" type of thing :-) ).Thanks again Chris, and I'll give it another go tonight.Glenn

Well - good luck (for finger trouble and something else ;) )!And please keep in mind: real winds aloft datas are only available when you are ONline...

Ahhhh, that's probably it! I downloaded then went into offline mode! I take it winds aloft are not stored when you download the METAR's, etc? If such is the case, are winds aloft then simulated instead?Thanks Chris, you probably solved my mystery for me :-).Glenn

It was one of my own mysteries yesterday - reading the relevant parts in the manual gave me the answer.Obviously saving FD and other winds for offline mode has been cut off in 1.6. Don't know why...perhaps too much data?I think, Damian will explain more details about this issue.Anyway, wind simulation keeps alive when you are in offline mode.Have a good flight tonight! :-wave

Yeah, I thought I noticed something was different in that area. I hope you can keep something of a realistic FD when in offline mode because my ISP is so unreliable right now that I probably can't do very much online flying. That, or I do flights at very different times to the real time and I need the past data rather than actual current. Time to RTFM I guess :-lol.Thanks Chris, if I can catch the sub-polar Jet going east tonight, it will be a good one :-).Glenn