Sign in to follow this  
Guest Guruswarmyoz

Did Bear make the right decision?

Guest Matt Johnson

About what?Yes, we are ALL volunteers, and I think any decision that Bear takes about how he is going to lead his life, and what he is going to provide, for free and out of his love for the hobby, is "right", too.Personally, I'll still be reading Bear's column and taking a look at the aircraft he recommends, because I respect his judgement. If you don't like it, you can go someplace else.

^^ Illiad ^^ :-lolThanks for the laugh MattElrond

Marc, on a side note, thanks for developing C4TO for both FLy! and Fly2. Still one of the best add-ons for the FLY! series.Tony

Guest Guruswarmyoz

I wholeheartedly agree with Bear's new approach, particularly on those aircraft that may well be very good but don't get the download numbers like the POSky or the MelJet models.That is not to say that I personally am "crowing" as 2 of my models made the latest Bear reviews (PC7 Mk II and the Texan II <-- both of which are direct variants of my PC9/A model), but aircraft such as the Blom und Voss Assymetric aircraft in my view ar far better model than the airliners that populate the download listings of most FS websites. This aircraft in particular is one that DESERVES an award for the shear amount of work that has obviously gone into the model and the fact that it shows in the final product so to speak.I for one visit from time to time to see what has been reviewed, there is no need for a lot of the most popular downloads to be reviewed as someone usually puts in the forums a topic along the lines of "Hey this thing is real good" etc and from those topics you usually get an informaed opinion. But this does not override your own opinion when you use an add-on or even comparing the add-on to the real world.Personally i have had pilots who have actually flown the real aircraft that I have Modelled (such as the PC9 and T-6II), and i can say that their respective feedback and comments are more valuable and gratifying, after all that is what I strive for in making my aircraft - as close as I can get it!

Guest crashing_pilot

yes he did.Bear,thanks for helping all the 56k

Guest NathanT24

I love your PC-9 and Texan 2 I cannot wait for the Canadian and the other scheme for the Texan 2

Hi Elrond,How are things going... it's great to see you hanging around here too! As always, you are the voice of reason - and I totally agree with your assessment. Bear is free to do as he wants - I'm not questioning his right to make a personal decision... I'm only questioning whether he really thought about the ramifications before making that decision. Whatever decision he makes, there is no doubt that Bear's reviews will continue to benefit Flight Sim users. In your case, you have the time and desire to try out the popular downloads on your own... so Bear's new philosophy fits your needs. In my case, I don't have the time to download and field-test every popular freeware offering that shows up in the library. I may be wrong, but I have a feeling that most Avsim users are a lot like me... and most of them don't visit this forum very often. In the past, I've probably download 10% of the files that Bear has reviewed - and I've been very happy with most of them. Under the new criteria, most of that 10% will be eliminated because those files happen to be "popular". I'm not targeting Avsim (they have nothing to do with Bear's decision), I'm not targeting Bear for changing his priorities, and I'm not targeting the die-hard users for agreeing with Bear's decision... I'm just predicting that Bear's future reviews will no longer be that beneficial to the "average" Avsim user - that's the only reason I questioned his decision.Good to talk to you again,Marc

Thanks Tony,How's the C4TO "port" going? I'd like to do something similar for FS2K2 (I guarantee it won't cost $42) - but MS isn't in the mood to publicize it's ATC logic at this point.Great to hear from you,Marc

Guest Guruswarmyoz

>I love your PC-9 and Texan 2 I cannot wait for the Canadian >and the other scheme for the Texan 2 I am approx 95% of the way through in converting the Texan II into FSDS2 standards with a DVC as per the FSDS2 PC9, PC7. I MAY have it ready b4 Christmas, but this may be after new year as I am helping another designer do a CAC Avon Sabre in FSDS2 with a DVC, this has priority at the moment (is a real good model btw). The Sabre is previewed at "my" site in me signiature below, go to the forums.P.S. Thanks for the comments on my aircraft, it is very much appreciated.