Sign in to follow this  
Guest bkhopp

Winds Aloft stations for Hawaii and New Zealand

Guest bkhopp

Recently I have begun flying some Pacific routes, with stops in places like Hawaii and New Zealand. I noticed that there do not seem to be any winds aloft reporting stations in either Hawaii or New Zealand. Flying into PHNL I get the west coast but then outside the 500 nm range. Same thing flying between Sydney and Auckland - winds aloft reported for Sydney but then out of range about half way through the flight.Can you shed any light on this? I am using 1.8 RC6 I think, trying to keep up with the beta versions as they come out.Thanks and great program!Ben

Ben,Certain parts of the world do not have winds aloft reporting stations and/or every station is not a part of the station database in ActiveSky. Please give us a list of stations and we'll get them in.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Jim, the post is very correct. Flying from KLAX to PHNL about 500 miles out there are NO winds reported for the eastern Pacific. Now this is one of the most heavyly traveled routes over water between Los Angeles and Honolulu and the other Hawaiian islands, I am sure there are weather ships in these waters. Also when you approach Honolul PHNL ActiveSky reports "Out of Range". There is a major airport there, a major USAF base there and one of the largest naval bases in the world. Has to be a mistake in the database.CheersBob Johnson

You are both correct. Hawaii has no entries. I tried like heck to find the WMO ID for any Hawaii airport. The other data I found, but without the ID I can't do anything.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Update:With Ben's help I was able to add an airport in Hawaii. Copy the text below and paste into your wmo.txt file.PHLI,91165,21.98,-159.34,153,"Lihue, HI"It does work, I tested it myself.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support