Sign in to follow this  

Hello,One quick question: Does ActiveSky wxRE have also winds that are moving or wind gusts?? When I fly offline (after downloaded the wether via auto-download and create new) I will get only one wind direction and one wind speed. (e.g. 135 @ 12) This will be the wind for a verry long time. I moves seldom.Do I have wrong options set or is it somthing different??Any help appriciatedThanksJohn

John,Yes winds should shift and gust. Wind gusts can be adjusted through FSUIPC and shifts mainly occur when changing altitude or moving to another wmo station. How long are your flights?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Thank you for your help!!My flight was from Amsterdam to Stockholm... I think the wind should change between that distanceYesterday I flew from Bristol to Luton and this is what happend:@ Bristol wind is 104 / 10 No gusting at all, just 104 / 10WXre Runtime Status:http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/10559.jpgClimb to 10 000 feet, wind change to 249 / 40 still no gusting (I do encounter some turbulance in clouds)During climb to FL250 winds moved to 250 / 40 (No gusting and no small changes in speed or direction)Se this pic. Wind is FS was 150 / 40. Much different than wat WXre says.http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/10566.jpgWhen decending from 20000 feet to 4000 feet no wind change at all. ( still 250 / 40)Approach was also 250 / 40Am I doing it wrong?I will try FSUIPC setting about the gustingHopes you can help me outBest Regards,John

John,By gusting winds I get the idea that you want your huge plane blown all over the sky. That's not going to happen. Also, you keep looking at the METAR winds. Those are for surface winds only. For winds aloft, you need to look at the main screen in the Winds Aloft window. In FSUIPC under Winds check the Allow Gusts In Upper Winds box and Taxi Wind Control should be OFF(by off, it should read Turn It On).Your screen shots are very helpful, but I also need the AS main screen shot also.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Thank you for your answers.By the gusting I do absolutly not ment that my 747 is blown 20 degrees out of route. Totaly not. But it is that winds are not 75 miles the same speed and the same direction.....I touhgt wind is always moving a couple degrees, same for the speed. When using MS real world weather I get moving winds. I mean with this that the wind is 150 / 10 but sometimes it moves to 151 /10 or 150 / 12 or 145 / 5 Wind is not siting still....I don't understand the winds Aloft screen so I don't know what to expect in FS when reading the text.I hope you don't get me wrong about what I ment with gusting.My FSUIPC setting are as you said above.Regards,John

John,I understand now what you mean by gusting. You are looking for minor shifts and for that look in your FSUIPC Options under the Winds Tab.On the Winds Aloft screen here are what the numbers mean:The WMO ID represents the wind station that is active. Yes, they are all number codes! The next number is the distance you are from that station. Now inside the [] we have the altitude of the winds in feet and then in (meters). After the :are the wind direction, speed, and air temperature while standing still. If you are between altitudes AS internally processes the data to determine the information it sends to FS. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Thank you for your help Jim!Yes I ment shifts :-shy Didn't knew the correct word... I've made some screenshots of everything inportand (I think) All pictures are taken at the same time.First picture: Flying at 7500 feet. Winds in FS 046/23 with a temperture of +8 Chttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11135.jpgSecond shot: AS main screen. I think in this stage of the fligh the wind should be 090/11 with 22C temperture. (05226 feet high)http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11137.jpgThis runtime status shot is saying also something differents. Wind 050/05 and the temperture of -6Chttp://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11138.jpgI don't think this is correct..... I don't know that much about weather (almost nothing) but I think AS is not sending the right weathter to FS. If you say it is correct, I will believe you and stop asking things :-)About the wind shifts: Are these settings correct to get some shifts?? I didn't saw them...http://forums.avsim.com/user_files/11139.jpgThank you for your timeJohn

John,I'm going to reply two times here. This time I am going to point out that you need to uncheck the "Extend top wind layer upwards" box AND uncheck the "Raise winds from below ground" box. Then check the "Allow gusts in upper winds" box AND check "Add random turbulence" box. Later on, I'll be back with more information.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

OK everyone, I'm back from dinner and family activities. In this post I'm going to point out things on the AS Status Screen that match up to the METAR you are looking at. I do this so you can see for yourself that AS IS working correctly and not just taking my word for it!METAR Status ScreenLEMD -------------> Closest METAR Station (LEMD)211430Z ----------> METAR Date/Time (211430Z)05005KT ----------> METAR Wind Direction (050) METAR Wind Speed (5KT)27/06 ------------> METAR Temperature (27 C) METAR Dew Point (06 C)Q1028 ------------> METAR Altimeter Setting (1028)As you can know see your ActiveSky is processing data correctly. Your FSUIPC settings need to be adjusted as noted in the previous post. Make those changes, look at some METARs, go and fly, and then post some results!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Thank you verry much for this helpfull help :-)I thought that winds was comming from the wind alloft screen, but I think I was all wrong..Thank you again for this great support and clarify about the METAR. I will make a flight shortly and post the results!Thanks and best regards,John