Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

Baron startup fix

Can anyone remember how to fix the problem of having to repeatedly click the starters in the Baron (rather than holding the mouse button down in the start position) to get the engines to fire?

There is a fix for this and I have applied it to my setup -- BUT I can't remember exactly what it is. I "think" it involves going into the Barons Cabbed Gauges file and making a change to one of the XML gauges inside -- quite a simple procedure actually -- but can't remember the exact details .Anybody else?I will put on my thinking cap later and try to uncover the fix.Barry

Thanks - it would be much appreciated. :)Edit:If it helps, this is what the contents of my left ignition switch xml file currently contains:- - - (A:Old eng1 starter,enum) - - - - - - - -

Hi, try this: press the M key to select both magnetos, and then just press (and keep pressing) the + key, the engines will fire every single time.Best of luck!

Guest Ken Meier

Open the beech_baron.cab file located in the gauges directory with winzip to a temp directory. Locate the Left Ignition Switch.xml and open it with notepad. Forth line from the bottom find the line and change it to repeat the above for Right Ignition Switch.xmlSave the file. To put this back into a cab file format you need the program Cab_Pack and for the life of me I can't remember where I got it. Do a Google search and you should find it, if not email me and I'll send it (466kb) water.boy2@gte.netBack-up the original just in case.Worked great for me.Ken

Thanks alex. I try and avoid using the keyboard where I can so Ken's solution has solved the problem for me but thanks again. :)

Hi Ken,Thanks very much indeed! I have cabpacker and it's working just fine now. :)The only problem I've got is the baron is loading very slowly now but I'll drop you a line and explore where I'm going wrong with cabpacker.(Used MSZIP format but the file still came out at 1.22mb where the original was 1.30).

Guest Ken Meier

Glad it worked for you. Mine loads slow as well. I never thought about it being associated with changing the gauge. Be sure to post if you figure it out.K

Ah ok. Looks like cabpacker may be a little too efficient in the compression area. Not to worry. Thanks again.

Guest Ken Meier

John, I figured it out!! Just create a new folder named beech_baron and move the un-zipped Baron cab to it, then place it as a sub-folder under the main gauges folder. Re-name the original beech_baron.cab or move it from the gauges folder so FS won't look for it. Give it a shot. K

>>Save the file. To put this back into a cab file format you >need the program Cab_Pack and for the life of me I can't >remember where I got it. Do a Google search and you should >find it, if not email me and I'll send it (466kb) >water.boy2@gte.net There is no need to re-cab the file --- just unzip the CAB file , do whatever you have to do to the contents and place the de-cabbed folder into your gauges folder with the exact same name . So if the cab file was Marilyn_Monroe.cab -- then make sure the folder is called Marilyn_MonroeBarry

Thanks for that - loads like a bullet now and problem solved!!!By the way - if go to:http://zone.msn.com/flightsim/FS02DevDeskSDK11.asp Microsoft released a cab SDK (only about 146k) including their own cab file builder - cab.exe.I'm not unduly concerned about losing a couple of mb of hard drive space so I haven't tried it it but it might produce faster loading results than cabpacker.

>>I'm not unduly concerned about losing a couple of mb of hard >drive space so I haven't tried it it but it might produce >faster loading results than cabpacker.Yeah-- my "old" machine "only " has a 20 gig hardrive -- I don't even think it is possible to buy such a small Hdd anymore -- but I remember when I didn't even have a hardrive at all and the first one I got was an enormous 50 megabyte!!! :) What could you possibly store in 50 megs!!! Ridiculous!! :)But , I have a computer programmer son who refuses to be seduced by the sizes of Hdds and PC memory and insists on "efficient" programming . He has lots of fights with fellow programmers and management about eficient programming -- so much so that he now works with "on demand" video in mobile phones (cutting edge technology! - but not really , its all based on early Commodore 64 technology!) -- now that requires programming "efficiency" !! Fs2002 "could" probably be reprogrammed to run on a Commodore 64 -- but what is the point , you say? Well, one day it (or something like it) may run on a mobile phone -- something for you to play with at the airport while you are waiting for your flight. But it will take some REAL computer gurus ! -- not the ones who have been seduced by the power of modern PCs. :)Barry