Sign in to follow this  
Guest moomox

Curious about the fs2004 version

Guest moomox

Hi Guys,just wondering how activesky for fs2004 is going? Can't wait to see what fantastic things you come up with for fs9. Any comments on what new features we might be seeing?

Hi David,It is going.... there is a completely new weather interface that I am coding for which should take FS2K4's already brilliant weather system and make it much much better. There are tons of features I'd like to announce now but due to the "competition" watching closely (and always immitating!) I am going to wait until we are closer to release before spilling the beans. The goal is to take ACOF's new weather engine, integrate with it, then give it a heavy dose of "reality" - as we did with FS2002 :) So far the results are very encouraging :)-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Will the upgrade to v2.0 be free for currently registered owners of ActiveSky wxRE? If not, will it be a reduced cost? Thanks!Brian

I'm curious about upgrades too...Also, is there any chance you could throw us a bone in the meantime? Will release be "around" the release date of 2k4?Thanks!sg

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Hi all,Release of 2.0 is not scheduled to coincide with FS2k4 release. I am only approx 50% done with 2.0 and since FS2k4 isn't yet released, there is no way to officially test with it either. I anticipate having 2.0 ready for beta soon after 2k4 is out. No official release date will be scheduled this time around - it will release when ready! I will keep everyone updated on development progress and will be adding a "in-development" section to the website where you can view work-in-progress screenshots and news.FWIW, work will be done to make 1.x compatible with 2k4 but at this point much is in the air - the environment is completely different and not all features may work correctly. The 1.9 update (with 2k4 compatibility) is estimated for release on August 15.-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark

Hi,2.0 will not be a free upgrade. I am exploring ways of being able to offer a discounted upgrade version to existing 1.x users but I am not sure if this will work. There are technical complexities in the e-commerce and anti-piracy side of things that prevent offering 2 different cost versions of the same program easily. I do plan on having some kind of discount but I cannot guarantee anything at this point. One thing is certain, 2.0 will be completely new and worthy of paying for it. Hope that helps!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark

Damian, I must say wxRE is my fav. f2k2 payware addon(1 of my few), and I'm very much looking forward to using v2.0. Course I'm hoping you can get the upgrade 'problems' worked out, not cause you dont deserve the money but because I'm cheap! :( Was there any further discussion or offical announcements regarding "subscription to a private weather server" for v2.0? I remember the talk early on, but did anything ever become of that? Or with the recent NOAA changes has it made it a non-issue?Also will v2.0 be using FSUIPC?If your not ready to answer these cause because they are still "underwraps" of development, I certainly understand. But haven't been in here much lately after looking at first batches of screen shots of FS2k4, I just could never fire up FS2k2 anymore. :-)

Guest BernBear

Well, I guess I should have read the forums BEFORE buying wxRE. The fact that there is a brand new version coming up that I'll have to pay for again is very disappointing. Had I known that, I would have held off my purchase until 2.0 is released. While I really like the product, I'm still quite reluctant to pay the full price for a new version again so soon (Just bought ActiveSky 2 weeks ago).Best regardsMax

Guest xoio

With all due respect,This is just the way of things... For example I own a Canon G1 digital camera. It is still superb! Although I bought it not long AFTER the G2 came out, (not realising it existed - Basically tough luck on my part for not finding out.) Since then the G3 & now the G5 have appeared... Should i expect Canon to give me a 'free' upgrade indefinately, or any other vendor of any other product or service for that matter? It's a fact of life & progression that you buy something & it goes out of date. Leaving it until only 2 weeks ago before buying Activesky is just bad timing on your part. (Whetever the reasons) Activesky have been out as a product since last year, you could have got it sooner.I'm sure V2 will knock the socks off of its current version & be worth every penny & more!RegardsAl

I bought mine quite a while ago so I don't care but many vendors set up a cutoff date for upgrades. Meaning, if you purchase the old version x days before the new version - you get a free upgrade.This is MY observation, not anything the Damien or anyone else associated with WxRE has said.Since Damien has been pretty good with his customers, I'd wait a bit before getting too upset.That said, I also agree tho that your timing in buying a FS2002 add-on sucks :)Just MHO,vgb

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest BernBear

True, Damian hasn't said anything about a cutoff date, so lets hope he will ;-)Getting free upgrades if a new version of a product comes out is just somethings I am pretty much used to these days, even the makers of the CD/DVD burning suite Nero (which is ver popular in Europe) are giving free upgrades for the upcoming, knock-sour-socks-off (quoted from another reply to my post)new version to anyone who has bought the product after May 1st, 2003.Max

Guest BernBear

With all due respect ;-)That's comparing apples and oranges, hardware is an entirely different animal. I bought a G2 after the G3 came out, on purpose, because of the price drop. When Buying hardware I never look back, because a new, improved model comes out the minute you leave the store.As I mentioned in my previous post, it is quite common in the shareware on online-distribution world and almost expected these days, that people who recently bought a product, get free upgrades to a new version. Even big companies do that these days (Adobe with Acrobat 6, Ahead with Nero V6) and I was just missing any information in that respect in Damian's post.Max

>I guess I should have read the forums BEFORE buying wxRE. The>fact that there is a brand new version coming up that I'll>have to pay for again is very disappointing.Max, yes you should have. I hate to sound like broken record but some people are just way too quick to purchase something - without checking what's in the pipeline, is the product good or bad, etc, etc.For example I look at all these people who purchased PMDG's 737NG within hours of its release and shake my head in disbelief. There is no substitue for educated consumer.Michael J.http://www.reality-xp.com/community/nr/rsc/rxp-higher.jpg

Everyone,Let's stop here a minute and review some things here. Now remember these are just GENERAL PLANS and nothing is set in stone.1. As long as things remain the same V1.87 will work with FS2002.2. After FS04 is officially released there is a PLAN to allow V1.87 to work with FS04. This plan is FREE. This is no different than all the other add-ons that will be retooled to work with FS04.3. V2.0 should be a TOTALLY new program, with new and exciting features. No, I have no idea what they will be! It will not be a reworking of V1.87, though I'm sure some features will be the same. This is like FS02 and FS04; not a fix, not a patch, but a brand new release or program. If one were to go out today and buy FS02 would ANYONE expect a discount from M$$ 3 weeks from now on FS04? No, I don't think so!Damian has presented his thoughts on the matter and I can tell he is doing his best to please everyone.I really hope this adds some INSIGHT to this issue. I am going on a short vacation Friday and I would not like to come back to some mess if I can avoid it!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest Jalok

Hi Jim and Damian,Now that the NOAA changes have settled down, AS (v1.87) seems to be back to the good work! Also, glad to read that Hifi.com is planning a totally new program for the FS2004. There will be always room for improvement, whatever new features MS may build on lastest FS release.As for the AS v2.0, I would love to see FSS real frenquencies implemented! Is it feasible?>Everyone,>>Let's stop here a minute and review some things here. Now>remember these are just GENERAL PLANS and nothing is set in>stone.>>1. As long as things remain the same V1.87 will work with>FS2002.>>2. After FS04 is officially released there is a PLAN to allow>V1.87 to work with FS04. This plan is FREE. This is no>different than all the other add-ons that will be retooled to>work with FS04.>>3. V2.0 should be a TOTALLY new program, with new and exciting>features. No, I have no idea what they will be! It will not be>a reworking of V1.87, though I'm sure some features will be>the same. This is like FS02 and FS04; not a fix, not a patch,>but a brand new release or program. If one were to go out>today and buy FS02 would ANYONE expect a discount from M$$ 3>weeks from now on FS04? No, I don't think so!>>Damian has presented his thoughts on the matter and I can tell>he is doing his best to please everyone.>>I really hope this adds some INSIGHT to this issue. I am going>on a short vacation Friday and I would not like to come back>to some mess if I can avoid it!>>>Hope this helps,>Jim>ActiveSky Support