Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmuzz

winds problems

Guest jmuzz

This is getting ridiculous! It's bad enough not to get anyupper winds for a flight, but many, many times (twice this week)I get no metar for my departure airport because of the windstimeout thing. At this moment, I have been waiting 15 minutesfor local weather at ft. riley kansas. A few days ago, I neverdid get local weather. Why oh why, can't the program display themetars for the departure airport - then go get the upper winds?I have cable modem, and have tried the low bandwith winds withoutany success.

Muzz,Sorry you are having trouble.1. You say you are not getting any upper winds for a flight. Is this every time or just once and awhile? Have you updated to V1.87?2. Many, many times sounds like alot, but then you say twice this week; that doesn't sound like many many times to me. The public servers at NOAA are not 100% reliable. This has been hashed and re-hashed more than necessary. Damian is not happy about this, but for now it's the best we can offer.3. The first download of data requires both METAR and winds data to be successfully downloaded, there is no way around this right now.Write back!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest jmuzz

I have V1.87Two times out of four is not a good ratio.As I said, not having upper winds is one thingbut having no weather at all is not acceptable.

A backup suggestion:I have several folders under ActiveSky WXRE's folder labeled with season-weather condition. I save downloads into these folders (noting the zulu times in each file name to see if they will be overwritten).I also save a downloaded regional nexrad image (one source is www.wunderground.com that takes airport codes, zip codes, or location description). When not flying using current data, I go into these saved scenarios, look at radar, then set the ActiveSky folder to the desired cycle file.This procedure allows me to load various scenarios when desired and permits me to fly when current downloaded or on-line data is a problem.I'm using 1.87. On weekends when the NOAA servers are very busy, I request VATSIM METARS and abbreviated winds.This is not cure, but an efficient work-around with the added ability to state, when desired, a real saved scenario for practicing various flying techniques under different challenges.

Those are all good ideas. Glad you took the time to post them.JimActiveSky Support

what about fsuipc? are your settings ok or did you personalize them on the winds section? i get good upper level winds at high altitudes (33,000-39,000ft) and my contrails are crooked like hell.