Sign in to follow this  

Questions about Active Sky

I just read the Avsim Review for Active Sky and it has really caught my interest so I went to your website and had myself a look around.Couple of questions if I may,One the review said the downloadable file is 30+ MB but when you follow the link to purchase it says it

JP,Thanks for your interest.I'm not sure where Alan got the 30+MB number from. The latest update is 8MB, just as you found. Emetrix offers a CD for an extra $9.99.No, AS can be run in Offline mode. You would do a one time connect, download the latest worldwide METARs and winds, and then disconnect. That single download could be used over and over again for as long as you would like.AS is fully integrated with FS Sky World and in FSFlightMax.If you have any other questions, please post them here.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hey, thanks!I guess I need to pick this little guy up!

Yeah go for it - this is one of my fav FS2002 addons. I'm not sure how the reviewer could take away the final star for it not having a weather radar - everyone knows that you can't actually do a realistic radar in FS2002. I've tried some of the products that claim to do it and it was shaky at best - half the time I'd fly into where it said there was a storm cell and see nothing but blue sky etc... wxRE is a 5 star product IMO...Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

>I'm not>sure how the reviewer could take away the final star for it>not having a weather radar - Yes, on top of that this product is suposed to improve weather not the aircraft avionics. I have no clue what the reviewer had in mind ... If he wants the radar he should talk to folks from Reality-XP - they are pushing the avionics technology and may actually embark on a radar project.Michael J.

Been there, done that, but it is difficult to produce according to the Reality folks. Search this forum and Reality-XP's for some interesting exchanges regarding this.There is the now freeware FSFlightmax product module but I do not know how good or accurate it performs. I for one am also waiting for a gauge, not a windowed module, to fit properly as an independent gauge, or integrated with the EHSI display as a mixed or switched view.

Guest Musashi

Hi GuysIMHO a weather radar would be very cool.FS flightmax is hopeless as I cannot have any echoes fromt he clouds outside.There is a third party weather generator utility with a weather radar and I bought it immediately. However,1. some clouds on my screen and even turbulance and thunderstorms but no echoes on the radar.2. Sometimes over Europe I receive some echoes and they look pretty neat I must admnit. However, the echoes never cross my path. They are almost always at ahead left (10 o'clock) side of my route and after I pass the turbulance region the echoes start cumulating behind my trailwave, as if they are making fun of me. I turn left to try to run into a turbulance area but they run away3. The weather engine is no way near the quality of activesky vxRE.Hope 2004 technology would make weather radars possible and I agree with the review that ActiveSky would one day add a neat weather radar.Hope Activesky achieves that.On the other hand, this would not be a reason to cut down one star of excellence.CheersMusashi

You do know in real life that clouds rarely return radar echoes, correct?The only way they will, is if said cloud had rain in them. Radar doesn't return clouds only, because the water droplets in clouds that aren't forming rain are too small to be picked up by most weather radars. Larger raindrops WILL produce radar echoes.