Sign in to follow this  
Guest sonjamichelle

ActiveSky WXre VS FS2004 "Real World" Weather

Guest sonjamichelle

From Jim Skorna:"Sonja, thanks for the kind words about ActiveSky, I did see them! Got to install FS04, FSUIPC3.02, ActiveSky 1.9, then go fly around!"Well, I gotta say, I've been using ActiveSky for almsot a year now. I used the free version for a few months then decided to upgrade to tha pay version. I loved, it was great, added a realistic dimension to FS.With FS2004 supposedly having a better weather engine and capable of downloading real world weather there was concern out there about ActiveSky becoming obsolete, leaving a lot of people holding lighter wallets (not by much mind you ;-)). Tonight I heard that Phoenix was supposed to have a windy rough night. Since my usual source happned to be in KSAN today I didn't fid out the extent of it until I got my nightly phone call from my son. He asked me if I was getting big storms. I wasn't but he sure was. In fact a tree was struck in front of them as they were driving home. Once I got off the phone and headed into my room, I heard Phoenix Fire/EMS dispatch going nonstop. Thet were getting pounded. Numerous tree fires, a few house fires, dozens of major vehicle accidents, downed power lines, the works! Reminds me of the night I worked the tornado back in '96. What a night!Ok, I decided this would be an opportune time to check out the new FS2004 weather (morbid I know, blame it on my EMS background). Fired up FS2004, clear skies, vis at 50miles, still as snot! double checked my settins, nothing. Supposedly downloading real weather. Checked ATIS.......10 hours old!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-fumeOk, so I fired up FS2002 with FSUIPC and ActiveSky. Holy cow, what a storm was brewing. Winds, rain, lightning, gusts. the works. Alright, so I took the padlock of the purse, went off to get my reg key for FSUIPC3 (was holding out til payday to get WideFS too with the discount.) Alas, the key didn't come fast enough. :-(So, I've definately decided to stick with ActiveSky over FS2004 "real world" weather. Thouh I'm sure the new engine and effects rendering combined with ActiveSky are going to make an excellent combination!!

Sonja - You will NOT be sorry. I had the press beta and gold of 2004 for over a month and was biting my nails not having WxRE to use. The main complaint about FS9 weather, as you've found, is that it's way too old.I've been using WxRE 1.9 with FS9 and I love it! There's a small problem that I'm working on but it's probably system specific and in no way a "deal buster".Enjoy - BTW, I have to thank you for something - I am an Italian and I saw your tagline re Oregano - I'm glad you're an EMT 'casue I busted someting laughing! :)Vic Baron

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest sonjamichelle

Hehe, yeah I'm a heavy oregeno user myself. That and garlic.I just got my key for FSUIPC, now I just have to wait a couple days so I can get my key for WideFS, then I'll be back in business.