Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

Recent ActiveSky2 Developments

Hi all,Great news, the private server system is now complete and is being prepared for official activation on the net. This new private server system uses various sources on the internet to compile and publish weather data for use by ActiveSky2. Weather data is now provided in binary snapshot files via this server and is SIGNIFICANTLY more efficient and stable than the old public access system. These binary snapshot files are also automatically archived twice per day and will provide historical weather snapshot downloads (another new feature of AS2).To add to this, the old RAOBS WINDS system has been thrown out!!! The RAOBS wind system, while providing nice world-wide winds for most populated areas, had several problems... including occasional server slowness/timeouts and lack of wind information for the entire globe (such as pacific and atlantic oceanic areas).AS2 now uses the World Forecast Model - the same data that is provided to real pilots (in the form of graphic charts). This new system provides much better coverage and accuracy. The resolution is 1x1 degree lat/lon (360x181), which means over 60,000 winds "stations" are now utilized! This data corresponds directly with the publically available aloft forecast charts, so your flight planning will now be even more accurate. We have also integrated variabilility into the data, so that rarely will forecast exactly equal experienced conditions, but it will usually be very close.Stay tuned for more exciting news due tomorrow night!!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest mmcevilley

>Hi all,>>Great news, the private server system is now complete and is>being prepared for official activation on the net. This new>private server system uses various sources on the internet to>compile and publish weather data for use by ActiveSky2. Way to go! Thanks for all the hard work!-michael

Guest pagotan

Hi Damian,Thanks for the update and also for the auto email. Michael

Hi Michael,No problem! But auto email? What do you mean?-Damian

Damian Clark

Damien,Glad to hear about the new server set-up!!! Thanks a million!Regards,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Guest pagotan

Hi Damain,I received a mail from Damian Clark the other day which, for security reasons, I deleted in the meantime. It basically said: ...this is an automated mail, within the next 24 hours or so you will be informed of a new beta version of ActiveSky ready to be tested..... I thought you sent it.Since you are asking I am wondering if it was from you or was it a spam again? what made me delete it is that it was sent to a mail box I rarely use and which has not been communicated on AVSIM or to you.Michael

HelloWhen AS2 is available, will it be possible to "add/remove" all the previous entries in my settings?Will AS2 be for fs2002 AND FS2004?Thanks in advance

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

Hi Emile.. How are you? :)No, unfortunately AS2 is not backwards compatible, there are simply too many changes in the entire design... I may decide to do a converter app if there is enough demand for such a tool (this would apply to the weather cycle sets).AS2 will be for FS2004 only - The reason is to prevent FS2002 compatibility issues from reducing full integration capability and technology focus with 2004. This was an important design decision made quite recently, and I think when you see AS2's unique integration with FS9 you'll agree with this!!Hope that helps..-Damian

Damian Clark

Hello Damian,>Hi Emile.. How are you? :)>I am fine thank you, I am still waiting for FS9 availability in Belgium , if FS9 is great I will drop FS2002.AS is a great addon !!

Emile EBBR Z590 Aorus Elite, i9-11900K 3.5Ghz Nvidia RTX 3060, 16 GB Mem, SSD 1Tera + other HDDs, Dual Boot . Win11 Pro X64

DamianAS2 for FS2K4 only :-( but fair enough.Hope you'll still remember us 'old guys' still using AS1 on FS2K2.Gavin

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest freequest

Great ... looks like ill be draging out the PC-12 to test that :)

Guest rds_mcleod

Damian:Is your dedicated server running now? :-coolRon McLeod - CYEG

Hi Ron it sure is :)The mail and web services for hifisim.com also are on the new server now...If anyone is interested in the data the server provides to AS2, take a look at http://www.hifisim.com/datanet/currentsnapshot.txtThis is a debug text version of the data snapshot, updated approx every 10 minutes.-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark

Guest rds_mcleod

Damian:Right on...Looks great and I can even see my house in that data snap! :9Ron McLeod CYEG