Sign in to follow this  

High winds on landings.

I am the one that was posting on the flightsim forums. Unfortunatly my problem is persisting. It has happened twince in a row at Newark. The winds were just 001@58. It is starting to get frustrating. Any help is appreciated.Brian

Hey Brian,I had this happen last night and it has happened a couple times before that, but not every time (Even happened with 2002 a few times). I don't have a answer for you on why it happens, but you can in the new FSUPIC (pay version) clear all the weather then refresh your active sky and that seems to fix it. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks for the help. That worked, but this high wind thing has happened to me 3 flights in a row and I am not a fan of having to pause the sim on approach just to get decent winds.Any help on a permanent solution would be great.Brian

Hi Brian,Are you using destination force? Your destination station ID should be entered and the force box checked to ensure that your approach and landing winds are set correctly. Just want to confirm you are doing this?If so, obviously this won't help so please send me a screenshot of your main and status screens along with your wxre.ini when this happens and I'll take an in-depth look.. thanks!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

I have my destination box checked and this has happened. Like I said, it does not happen all the time, and only has happened twice in the two or so weeks I have had FS2004.If and when it happens again, I'll send you over what you requested.I can't wait for 2.0 :)

Brian,I just posted again at Flightsim.com, I was without power for 33 hours! Now that you can post here, let's just keep this thread going so I don't have to keep jumping sites! I hope we can get you running correctly.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest Mark McG

Jim,I have seen this occassionally in FS2004.What happens is that the Winds Aloft Remain at a constant Setting, despite them updating in ActiveSky. You get the Winds Aloft updates scrolling across the screen, but no actual updates.Hope this helps.

Mark,Thanks, but I need some help here. Are you saying that AS updates, but the new data does not display correctly in FS? If "yes" then here are some things to look at for me:1. The change is not instant. It takes a bit of time for AS to communicate with FS. Then FS04 takes more time than 02 to change data. It's MS's attempt to smooth the weather changes. Remember that in 02 we did this with FSUIPC. Also, MS built in some variability into the processes.2. For wind directions, AS reports TRUE directions, but FS04 reports MAGNETIC directions.If you are still experiencing major errors, please post some actual data and I can look into this.If I have your situation screwed up, please straighten me out!!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest Mark McG

Jim,ActiveSky updated but FS did not.Will retry and post results.

Hi All,Ok, if you all remember, FS2002 did this occasionally. Basically, for some reason, all winds are ignored from the actual weather set area in FS.. So even though wxRE is setting the wind correctly, and it is even going into FS correctly, FS is refusing to take the new values and is instead locking the winds. This is known as the "winds cache" problem documented in FSUIPC documentation.FS2004 now seems to be doing the same thing with a bit more frequency. Perhaps with everyone's help we can figure out how to get around this. Some reported that using the clear wx command in FSUIPC fixes it. Is this true for everyone? For those experiencing this with regularity, what is your dynamic setting in FS2004? Any other information will help. Unfortunately I have never once experienced this problem so it is impossible to test fixes on my end.... but perhaps with the feedback of others we can come up with some kind of FS trickery via wxRE code to rid the problem (i.e. force a clear weather/reset to reported if a 'stuck' situation is detected?)... Thanks all...-Damian

Damian Clark

Guest Mark McG

Damian,Just tried things out again and encountered the same problem.Winds aloft seemed stuck and required the fsuipc clear weather option to refresh. This happened at every winds aloft update in the descent.I have the following options enabled:FS2004 Dynamic Weather OFF as recommended by FSUIPC.Update Winds Aloft on New Station ON.When using the FSUIPC clear weather setting you can get quite an abrupt winds change at times.Hope this helps.Mark

Thanks for the info Mark,Can you try with Update Aloft on New Station OFF ? Curious if this is related to that option or not...-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark

I inadvertantly forgot to 'Get' destination weather and 'Force'. As I descended, the wind tracked as per altitude, as it should. When I 'Got' and 'Forced' everything was OK.Previously, I've 'Got' and 'Forced' shortly after takeoff and experienced the wind problem.HTH-- Alan White

I think that's a red herring. I've just descended into an airport without 'Getting' it and had to 'Clear' using FSUIPC to set surface wind.-- Alan White