Sign in to follow this  
Guest tcable

Undercast

Guest tcable

I don't know if this is an FS9 or an AS issue but when I fly over an undercast, I almost always see through to the ground :-zhelp Now that's a bit differernt thatn my actual expereince with undercast :) It's solid and you can't see through it!I've also noticed some strange winds aloft- 60 kt winds at 3000 feet on what is otherwise a clear clam day on the surface, typically happens on descent as opposed to climbout. I'm one that tends to fly the PMDG 737 so I end up at the Flight levels.That and what's up with that area of clouds that flies along with me in FS9? it's like I'm casting a really large shadow...Tim

Hi Tim,FS2004 "feature"... those are 3D clouds now so there are some performance issues with drawing 100% coverage by default. You can, of course, increase your coverage to 100% but here will still be occasional "holes". The solution is to actually draw 2 overcast layers, which AS2 will have an option for (but this is not recommended unless you have one very fast system!).Winds lock.. known, documented, check this forum there are dozens of posts.... Solution: FSUIPC v3.05. No reports post-FSUIPC 3.05 so please confirm your version.Area of clouds that flies along with you? Haven't heard of this one before, can you give more information?Thanks..-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest tcable

The undercast does not seem to be the 3d clouds- but a haze layer where there should be overcast- at least when you look off toward the horizon, it's overcast, but sttraight down, it's haze- reminds me of flifght training in florida, where they haze was often that thick. I love teh 3d cloud version of overcast as it has holes that seem more natural than the fixed pea soup haze that we used to get for clouds. The odd sucker hole is a good thing!They mystery ring of clouds- It's generally a circular area of light cloud/haze that follows me along and is somewhere between me and the ground, but immediately below me, and some thousands of feet below as well.I have upated to the lates FSUIPC,so both of these issues might be fixed now as I'm currenly flying ofver PA and I'm not noticing the following clouds.Tim

Hi Tim,Thanks for the info..That area of different weather at the aircraft location while different along the horizon IS probably related to the wx/winds lock issue with wxRE and FSUIPC v3.04 and previous. The entire weather system will lock, and any changes past that point are from the FS2004 wx engine doing its interpolation/smoothing functions on what is supposed to be a GLOBAL wx system (but after lock of course becomes incorrectly station-based). The haze below is actually a function of the surface visibility when less than 10 miles.....-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark

Guest tcable

Here's a bit more fo you-I'm using the RC2 of AS1.9, and FSUIPC 3.05. Screenshots follow of what I just got on approach in to KPIT, along with a screenshot of AS at the time of landing...Here's the conditions on final- 52 kT winds when the station is reporting Light and variable (That's windshear!!)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32965.jpgAS and the data as reported to ithttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32966.jpgAtis after landinghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/32967.jpgThis is as of 1400 EST 8/25- or just a little bit ago.Tim

Tim, Looks like FS weather has locked here... FEW130 isn't showing although there are some clouds in the distance. Can you confirm you are clearing your wx via FSUIPC or FS before loading wxRE?-Damian

Damian Clark

Guest tcable

I can. I set the clear skies theme before firing up AS. Plus, the departure Wx is fine it always seems to be the arrival Wx that's an issue, and typically the winds only. the clouds and vis seem OK. On that flight I flew in from BOS, so it was ~ 1.5 hrs of flight time.Tim

Hi Tim,In order to control the isolation of this problem, Pete has suggested that the ONLY way to properly start an external weather app such as wxRE is to load FS, start the flight, CLEAR ALL WX VIA FSUIPC, and then load the weather app.Sorry for the delay solving this problem.. I've already spend a couple hundred hours solid on troubleshooting and still have no fix or clear answer on what is happening. Fact: Doesn't happen on all systems. Fact: It is a problem with the FS/FSUIPC translation of weather set via external weather apps. That's the only hard information we have. In my 50+ test flights for this problem I was only able to reproduce it three times, but have yet to see it post-FSUIPC3.05 release.Please try the FSUIPC clear method before loading wxRE, just to eliminate the chance that the weather theme is causing it... Thanks! Troubleshooting continues.....-Damian

Damian Clark

Guest tcable

I'll try it again :) and will let you know.Tim