Sign in to follow this  

What is the server going to do for us using AS2?

Hi Damien,Mabe I missed something,but please explain what your new server is going to do?Will it improve how AS DOWNLOADS weather data?Is this going to benefit on-line VIRTUAL AIRLINES only?Will your program automatically download from your server instead of "where ever" it gets its info?Kind RegardsJamesd

Hi James,The new private dedicated server does this:1) Collects data for METARs and TAFs using legal pubically available sources including NOAA2) Collects winds aloft data from the World Forecast Model (can't reveil the source! It took 2 years to find it..)3) For each weather reporting station in the world, a record is created in a binary file to be published on the hifisim website.. Each record contains METAR, TAF and ALOFT data4) The www.hifisim.com website then serves this binary publish file "currentsnapshot.dat" for download by AS25) 2 snapshots per day are archived and stored for 1 year so you can download historical weather directly from AS2This is much better than the old system because:1) Now there is one private server which I have full control of instead of several public ones which I have no control2) The data served to the weather add-on is condensed and made effecient - only the data needed is transmitted (instead of the old public servers, lots of data had to be downloaded then discarded to get to the important stuff)3) The new server is on a teir-1 network with multiple connection points, OC-12... Lots of redundancy and performance, no more timeouts...4) The data downloaded is processed and already set for import into FS2004 station based weather via AS2.. which means minimal processing on the client end and better overall performanceHope that helps!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Thankyou for your info,I see that it is for "off-line" use only.Thats great, I think I might give it a try!JamesBTW..I didnt know you are also involved with the WEATHER CENTER

It's great that the new server system will predigest data for the client and all the backups, etc.One of the compelling reasons that I chose AS WXRe was that it was based on non-dedicated servers after noticing complaints about FS Meteo's servers being frequently down.Is it possible to have AS2 offer a backup option (with limited features) to use existing public servers as backup?

>I see that it is for "off-line" use only.Damian, I hope this is not correct. When I read your post I see it as follows:The dedicated server(s) contineously updates itself by using several (one secret ;-)) public aviation weather sources. This provides ACTUAL/REAL WORLD weather info to AS2. Besides this, twice per day some kind of backup is made containing a history of the weather for that day, till that time. These snapshots are saved 1 year so we can enjoy the best summerdays over and over :-coolAm I correct?Kind regardsHakkie

Hakkie,Online Mode or Offline Mode for actual/real world weather, just like now. The backup is for Offline Mode and could save the user from saving and re-naming thier "favorite" weather as they do now.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support