Sign in to follow this  
Guest HeavyFan

Stutters With ACTIVE Sky and FS2004??

Guest HeavyFan

Hey guy's! I seem to get really bad pauses and Stutters when ActiveSky is updating the Weather!!, Like say, i am cruzing at 31,000ft, with clouds, then when ActiveSky updates and changed the clouds per the update, i get like a 2-3 sometimes 4-5sec pauses, then FS will run again, then get pauses again once all the weather is updated!?? WHY Is this, never happened in 2002 before, ran very smooth in 2002! But is really bad in 2004! I have DSL! So is there a way to fix this Bad Stutter problem's?? I half to use the Default Real World Weather "Static Download with no updates to keep the Pauses and Stutters down to enjoy my flight in 2004? PLEASE any suggestion's for a FIX is Appreciated! MIKE

Mike,It is a known problem, caused by the interface between FSUIPC, global weather programs, and FS04. We are working on a fix.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest HeavyFan

Aghh, ok Thank's for the HEads up! Thought I had something set up wrong, GLad To hear you guy's are working on A fix! MIKE-:)

Guest JVAH

With FS2002 even after installing the 1.91 RC6 update ActiveSky still causes a noticeable and annoying stutter about every fifth second, which renders it unflyable. At the same interval the System Monitor utility of Windows98SE shows a peak in the prosessor usage graph when ActiveSky is running. The problem occurs regardless of the Fsuipc version. Fsuipc and ActiveSky are configured according to the ActiveSky documentation.:-hmmm

JV,What are your system specs? Do you have "Force IDLE Priority" checked?Are you running minimized to the taskbar?JimActiveSky Support

Guest JVAH

Celeron 550MHz with Geforce 2 Pro. ActiveSky is minimized to taskbar after starting and Force IDLE Priority is checked. ActiveSky is set to start paused, stuttering begins after clicking Refresh and occurs thereafter constantly at about 5 sec interval until AS is quit. Weather downloads don't seem to cause any problems, perhaps due to a fast cable modem connection.P.S. This problem is not new for me, has been the same already from the very early versions of AS.

I have the same stuttering in FS2002 with Beta 6, never experienced it with any previous version. Force IDLE priority is checked, AS is minimized to taskbar. Occurs with any combination of default/addon scenery/aircraft approx. every 5 seconds.AthlonXP 1800+ GeForceFX 5600 256MB RAMMiltos

Guest JVAH

My modest "low-end" PC configuration seems to be quite sensitive to this kind of problems. I experienced similar stuttering with the upcoming online voice communication program, AVC. When I told the author about this, he found out that he had accidentally forgot to remove some debugging code before compiling the executable program. In the later versions without this additional code and with some other optimizations, the stuttering was totally gone.

JV,Your CPU and graphics card are holding you back. If you lower your FS sliders does that help? What cloud textures are you using and what is your cloud %?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest JVAH

Naturally I have had to reduce FS2002 settings to get flyable frame rates (AI traffic off, Autogen Normal, Visibility 60nm, Mesh complexity 50%, Cloud density 50%, no reflections/shadows, and so on). FS runs in 1024*768 16-bit full screen mode with no antialiasing, but 2X anisotropic filtering is forced on. Disabling anisotropy or running FS windowed makes no difference. Latest FS Sky World textures are in use, using FS default clouds makes no difference. Even when not running FS at all, but ActiveSky alone, the System Monitor shows 20% peaks in CPU usage every fifth second.Running ActiveSky does not lower the average frame rate and downloading weather data works very well without any significant drop in fps.The biggest problem is the stuttering, when FS seems to "hesitate" or pause every fifth second.Another problem is related to the Voice Flightwatch feature. Weather data text is shown correctly in FS when COM is tuned to 122.0, but no sound is heard. The sound card is a Creative Soundblaster PCI128 with the latest drivers, but it could still be a sound card driver problem, though. Anyway, I'm quite happy with the text-only Flightwatch too.

Hi,Folks,When posting a completely unrelated problem (i.e. this thread was started "Stuttering with FS2004" and now 2 reports of stuttering, totally unrelated, in FS2002.. Please help us organize support requests by starting a new thread when you have a separate issue. Thanks!As to the issue of B6 ONLY causing stutters.. NOTHING has changed in B6 1.91 from B5 (or even 1.6 or any other interim update) that would cause stutters, so something has changed elsewhere in your configuration that you might want to look at.As to FS2002 stutters every 5th second. The main loop processor runs every 5 seconds. During these 5 seconds ALL airports are scanned to determine the closest one. AI aircraft are scanned if you have WAKE TURBULENCE enabled. Some minor reads and writes are done via FSUIPC.I suggest that either a) your system is simply too slow to handle running an add-on such as wxRE (which is resource intensive, no doubt about that) without a performance hit, :( you have too many AI aircraft and have wake turbulence enabled or c) you have too many other applications running at the same timePlease list your system specs and other add-on info, wxre.ini, and any other information, IN A NEW THREAD please (or email to damianc@hifisim.com) and I would be happy to take a further look.. Hope that helps..-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi, Celeron 550, yep, I can see how you are stuttering.... I am surprised that FS2002 will even run! Anyhow, try turning off wake turb simulation, this should help a bit..-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest JVAH

>Hi, Celeron 550, yep, I can see how you are stuttering.... I>am surprised that FS2002 will even run! Anyhow, try turning>off wake turb simulation, this should help a bit..Wake turb option is off, because I never use the AI traffic. ;-)I have tweaked and configured FS2002 so that I get quite flyable 15-20 fps when flying online with HostSB, Squawkbox, Roger Wilco and FSNavigator running. As I mentioned, running ActiveSky does not lower the frame rate, it's the every-5th-second-stutters that are disturbing.I guess spreading the different tasks more evenly along this 5-second task cycle would mean reprogramming the whole ActiveSky.I mean, not like this: run tasks 1,2,3,4,5, wait 5 seconds, run tasks 1,2,3,4,5, wait 5 seconds, run tasks 1,2,3,4,5, wait 5 seconds, ...But like this: run task 1, wait 1 second, run task 2, wait 1 second, run task 3, wait 1 second, run task 4, wait 1 second, run task 5, wait 1 second, run task 1, wait 1 second, run task 2, ...The best option for me would definitely be a major hardware update, but for certain reasons that's impossible right now. I guess, for the time being I'll just have to be satisfied with the Squawkbox weather. :-rollAnyway, thanks for your response and keep up the good work! :-wave