Sign in to follow this  
Guest draky

AS2 and 1.9 - Update or Sale?

Guest draky

Just this silly question for the day... will current users of AS WXre v1.9 get the upgrade to AS2 free or will we be expected to fork out more cash?Thanks - Dave

Dave - I believe it has been said that it is not an update but a new release and will have a cost. What and how I have not seen. Any updates to Version 1 will continue to be free but AS2 is a completely new product.This is what I understand - if I am in error - someone will correct me, I'm sure . :)HTH,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Dave,Vic has it right!!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

So, if I read this right, I'll have to fork out more coin to have a weather engine that can perform best with FS9? I've only just bought 1.9 a month and a half ago and it's already outdated!! I haven't even had time to get it tweaked to the point I'd like yet.Not very happy about this prospect at all!!!

If you purchased a 2003 model car 45 days before the release of the 2004 model what would you expect?If you purchased FS2002 45 days before the release of FS2004 what would you expect?We have been telling EVERYONE that Active Sky 2 would not be free for wxRE users and we have been saying this from day ONE.At this point we have no specific date for the release of AS 2.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

I looked over the HiFi website and found that 1.9 was the latest version, so I purchased it. I found no reference on that site that there was a new version under development and had not visited this forum at the time of purchase.If I had purchased a 2003 model car 45 days before the 2004 model came out, at least I'd have damned decent trade-in! I wouldn't have purchased FS2002 even six months before FS2004 because it was publicly known that there was a new version in the works. Where else but here was it known? This was the first I've seen of it.You have excellent software that adds a lot of enjoyment to our passion of flying, however, it irks me that I will have to pay to upgrade something that I just got. If I had known that new software was under development, that was optimized for FS2004, I would definitely have waited!

This is a public forum.Active Sky 2 is not an upgrade, but a completely new program.Purchase plans for wxRE users have not been set in stone. It is still POSSIBLE that old users MAY get a break, but it WILL NOT be FREE.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest draky

Thanks Jim for your answer - I for one love Active Sky and would not fly without it, put me down for a purchase of AS2 when it comes out, no moans and groans this end. I guess some folk expect others to work for no reward - keep up the good work mate!.Dave

Guest BernBear

Jim, I can understand why people, especially those using the wxRE/FS2K4 combo keep bringing this question up. While I absolutely loved wxRE with FS2K2 and immediately bought it after a day with the freeware version of active sky, I do feel that wxRE is functionally challenged with FS2K4, even in the latest incarnation. So I can understand the people, especially those who bought wxRE for FS2K4, who expect a free upgrade or a very significant price break, since AS2 promises to be the first AS version that matches the wxRE/FS2K2 combination in functionality and realism.Now, I'm not trying to put down Damian's effort with wxRE and FS2K4, I am sure he he is trying all he can to make it work, but it seems the two are not getting along too well, due to the new FS weather system. For the time being I am using the built in Online weather, which while much less current and realistic, is much more predictable and smooth than wxRE. I'm hoping to get on the Beta team for AS2 or failing that, waiting for the release version, which I will certainly buy. Based on my previous experience with wxRE and FS2K2, I'm sure AS2 will be awesome, since it's designed for FS2K4.Best regardsMax (Bern LSZB)

Thanks to both of you for your kind words. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest sonjamichelle

>So, if I read this right, I'll have to fork out more coin to>have a weather engine that can perform best with FS9? I've>only just bought 1.9 a month and a half ago and it's already>outdated!! I haven't even had time to get it tweaked to the>point I'd like yet.>>Not very happy about this prospect at all!!!Welcome to the world of cmputers and technology. The day I bought my new PC I knew that in a couple weeks there was going to be a newer faster chip.

Just to clear the air, I fully support the efforts of those who add to our hobby. I didn't flinch the slightest when Peter Dowson decided to turn FSUIPC into payware and I gladly paid my registration to support his efforts.I also gladly paid to have a premium real weather add-on for my brand new FS9. At the time, I was unaware of the upcoming new version. I will also continue to support those who bring added enjoyment and realism to our passions. In the final analysis, if it comes down to it, I will likely also pay to step up to version 2 when it becomes available. I have no doubt that the finished product will be worth it.

>>Welcome to the world of cmputers and technology. The day I>bought my new PC I knew that in a couple weeks there was going>to be a newer faster chip.Couple of WEEKS! LOL - where ya been - seems like couple of DAYS be more like it. :)Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Hi all,Thanks for the positive feedback here and for sharing your opinion..wxRE was designed with the assumption that it would be for FS2002 only, and by the time the next FS would be available, 14 months or more would have passed.FS2004's early release was a surprise for us all.I was forced to make a decision. Obviously since AS2 was a long ways out, I had to make wxRE compatible. Unfortunately, as you all know, the new wx system features are way too different to properly integrate with FS2002-based designs. So the decision was to make wxRE as compatible as possible and when finished the results were very positive from the user base. As time passed, and everyone became more aware of the limitations of FS2004 w/ FS2002-based wx systems (this is common to all add-ons out there, not just AS), it became apparent that in order to make a "great" wx add-on for FS2004, it would have to be designed from the ground up with FS2004 in mind.And that's exactly what we've done. AS2 is over 8 months in development, designed specifically and exclusively for FS2004. Some things were borrowed from wxRE, but not much... AS2 also uses a private wx system that has cost thousands of dollars to setup, and has a very high monthly cost.All development has stemmed from the wants of the user base. Most folks, when they wish for features, don't think about the costs involved in providing that in the real world. I have to filter out what is feasible and go from there, and there is ALWAYS a high cost to pay to make these features reality. In my case I have been working 16 hour days for 8 months straight (longer than that, really, but I took a couple weeks off 8 months ago!), coding AS2, wxRE, WC2, not to mention providing support for 2 product lines (thanks a million to Jim Skorna for his help!), dealing with a business acquision, legal issues, vendor issues, publisher issues, etc... I have been burning the candle at both ends to make this a reality and the fact is that the ONLY WAY to facilitate AS2's release is to charge for it. Before every New Version release (this is my 5th commercial sim product release I have been involved in), there has always been some kind of demand from the user base to provide an explanation for purchasing the new version, and an expression that the upgrade should be free.Well, here's my explanation, and I hope you all understand... AS2 is a new version, has cost a lot to develop, and will cost a lot to continue to keep online (with the new server system).Please help us continue to develop weather simulation features for you! Purchase AS2 and know that you have helped support this development effort. I am 100% confident that you will NOT be dissapointed with your purchase.Thanks for your support!-Damian[table border=0" cellspacing="30" cellpadding="0][tr][td align = "left"]Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyThe next-generation weather environment simulation for FS2002!http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky[/td][td]http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/images/wxrebeta.jpg][/td][/tr][/table://http://hifi.avsim.net/activesky/ima...[/tr][/table

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest draky

Hi Damien,Thanks for your lengthy explanations - I for one appreciate all too much the efforts that do go into such products which in the end are enjoyed by so many. I'm behind you all the way mate! after all we strive for quality stuff which does not come without cost.Dave