Sign in to follow this  
Guest draky

AS2 and 1.9 - Update or Sale?

Hi Damian - I've been in software development for over 20 years and am totally aware of what you describe. I also know that sometimes it is VERY hard not to respond negatively to some insensitive or unappreciative comments. I congratulate you on your restraint . BTW, nothing in this thread prompted that comment, I have read other "demands" from time to time.I honestly believe that the majority of AS users understand this and support your efforts.I also wish to express thanx to Jum Skorna - many times he answers a question before I've even formed it . Can you spell 'unsung hero'?Now, don't go blushing on us, Jim.Just MHO,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest PeteW

Have to poke my nose in here as well :DI certainly wont baulk at paying for AS2. 1.9 is already in my personal list of essential to have files. I wouldnt consider flying without it.Very much looking forward to the release.All the bestPete

Guest Ket

I have to say this answer annoys me greatly. Let me explain.I am fairly new to FS9 and have been just starting to pick up some Key payware components. I found out about your product by going through the weather center route. I looked at weather center saw that I liked it and completly failed in getting it to work on my system. Half the problem was that although both on SimMarket and the Weather Center site the latest version leads to a dead page, so I had to use an earlier version. Who knows if the new one works I was not going to purchase a product I did not know worked especialy with all the *cough* confusion durring the accusition phase of the product line. E-mail to Damian and SimMarket was useless on my question of how to obtain the latest demo version.Ok so I figured ActiveSky was around for a while and although it had some issues the update was due out (according to the web site) any day now and I would just grab 1.9 early.I JUST BOUGHT THE DAMN THING TODAY! And now you tell me that I will not be able to upgrade to 2.0 without re-purchasing it? That would be fine if I had the product for 6 months but there is NO indication on your site that this is the case, nor did I know about the forums till it was to late. So since this is the case, how do I obtain a refund or should I just do a chargeback on the transaction.

Guest Jacek_KORD

Come on man, don't be ridiculous! Damian has clearly stated that this is not an upgrade but completely new product. Which part of that didn't you understand?He also stated that most likely the users of AS1.xx might get a break on the purchase of the NEW product. I agree with you and anyone else that there should be some kind of an anouncment from Hifi Simulations stating this on their web site, and I personally think that Damian should take it under the consideration.

Guest Ket

Had I known that I would not have purchased it is as simple as that. Not all the customers read the forums. Why would anyone buy a piece of software that literly expires in a few days weeks. It's a known thing that FS2004 and Active Sky 1.9 have issues. That they make clear. What they dont make clear is that your screwed if you purchase 1.9 at this point as when 2.0 comes out there is no upgrade path. I may be willing to deal with a price cut but they cant confirm that which seems err odd...Oh as a follow up simmarket finaly got back to me with the correct demo link for Weather Control 2_3 so I kind of feal I got double screwed LOL.

Guest BernBear

>Come on man, don't be ridiculous! Damian has clearly stated>that this is not an upgrade but completely new product. Which>part of that didn't you understand?>He also stated that most likely the users of AS1.xx might get>a break on the purchase of the NEW product. I agree with you>and anyone else that there should be some kind of an>anouncment from Hifi Simulations stating this on their web>site, and I personally think that Damian should take it under>the consideration.True, Damian has clearly stated that, but only here in the forum. However, he "average" user typically only visits a support forum once he encounters a problem with the product and then it's too late for someone who just bought AS for use with FS2K4.I can understand new AS customers who are disappointed with the fact that it is severely functionally challenged with FS2K4 and sound off about it here, even though I agree that some should rethink their posting style. Again, I am not attempting to troll or flame anyone at HiFi Sim, but I think at the present time, it would be a good idea to clearly inform prospective customers on the HiFi Sim website that the current AS version ist designed and optimized for FS2K2 and does work on FS2K4, but with certain restricitions, which should also be clearly mentioned. This would enable customers to decide whether they want to already buy wxRE for FS2K4 or hold off for AS2. I think there are still plenty of people out there who use FS2K2 and they will most like be very happy with the current version. But at the same time I doubt that anyone buying wxRE for FS2K4 will be very happy with it. I centainly loved AS together with FS2K2, but currently I am using the built in FS2K4 weather until I can get my hands on AS 2, which, based on my previous experience, I am sure will be another great product, most likely even more awesome than wxRE with FS2K2.Best regardsMax (Berne, LSZB)

To All,On the Active Sky web site there is a press release dated MARCH 12, 2003 announcing the development of Active Sky 2. THAT'S FOUR AND ONE HALF MONTHS BEFORE THE OFFICIAL RELEASE OF COF. Yes, it's in the title of the release. No, it's not at the top of the page. Why? Because customers have commented to us that they enjoy the layout of the page; with announcements arranged by date. I know that for some this will still not be good enough, but it is hard for me just to sit back and be quiet sometimes, which for now, I will attempt to do. Anyone have a technical support question?JimActiveSky Support

Hi Max,"I can understand new AS customers who are disappointed with the fact that it is severely functionally challenged with FS2K4"How so? Abrubt wind transitions? That is common to all wx and addons including default realwx from FS9. Global wx? That is a limitation of design of ASwxRE.From what I can tell, what folks ideally want is an add-on that uses all FS9 new wx features and solves prolbems inherent to FS9. That is why I am designing a new add-on. There simply is no way to continue hacking away at wxRE to make it work ideally. Look at the other add-ons that have tried this. There are too many design limitations. A complete re-write was in order. I cannot give the re-write away. It cost way too much to make happen."I doubt that anyone buying wxRE for FS2K4 will be very happy with it."Really? I receive many positive e-mails each day from FS9 / wxRE users. I receive very little negative comments on the whole. I can't agree with your statement.To me, the problem here is #1 lack of patience and #2 that some folks feel they have been cheated because they didn't know about AS2 and could have "held off" for AS2 and skipped wxRE altogether. Well, first of all, AS2 is still in development, and to stop sales of a current supported product (which costs money to sell and support!) while a new one is still in development is ludicrous. Think about it. Second, there is no release date set for AS2. It could be a month away. It could be 6 months away. Until development and beta testing finishes there is no way to know. Still want to hold off?Patience people! Why is there no solid price information or upgrade offer information? Why is ASwxRE still being supported as the latest version? Because AS2 is a ways out! Patience!It's my bad. This wouldn't be the first time I've messed up by being too up-front. Next time I will not reveal development information about new products. My thought was that it would help stimulate feedback and input from the user base for great new feature ideas. But this feedback will come to me regardless (thanks to all the great users who share their opinions!), so next time I will just keep things quiet until it is about to release. You all should know that I am always working on new things so keep your feedback coming!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest BernBear

Hi DamianThanks very much for your extensive reply.Yes, I'm referring to the aprupt wind transitions and the very sudden weather changes, which led to more than one in-flight breakup of the default lear, because of sudden severe overspeeds (400+ kts). That never happend with default weather in FS2K4 or AS wxRE and FS2K2. To me that is a rather important limitiation, but maybe I should have worded the statement a little less drastically.Again, I think you are doing a fantastic job with AS and I am looking forward very much to AS2, since wxRE and FS2K2 was such a great combination. And yes, people are always impatient once a new, improved product is announced, but maybe that is partially due to them looking forward to new product so much ;-)So, if you think my original post was too harsh or unfair, please accept my apologies and feel free to edit or delete it. And by all means keep up the good work, even though I can hardly wait for AS2, I promise to be patient :-)Best regardsMax (Bern, LSZB)

Guest GCrossley

If people that expect a free 'upgrade' to AS2 just asked the question, "would I work for free?" then they would soon justify paying for what is a new product.Keep up the good work and I will certainly be buying AS2 when it is ready.

Well, I for one have the latest version of AS. I for one will buy version 2.0 the minute I see it is available and even if it costs 50 dollars I will buy. I have been keeping up with Activesky's progress from back when Damian first came on the scene. I still remember buying version 1.00. From what I understand and have been reading, version 2.0 will rock. For those that have that horrid wind shifting while at cruise altitude, I asked Damian about that in another post a while ago and he said he will have some kind of feature that will diminish this greatly along your route of flight (this is worth the price of admission along). Now combine this with Chris Willis's new FS Sky World which he is working in cooperation with Damian's AS version 2.0 and you have an unbeatable combo. For those with version 1.91 crying about paying for 2.0, get real!! My only hope is that 2.0 hits the market before this upcoming winter is over. I want to use all the new features for some nasty winter weather flying.

Eric 

Guest Ket

Damian I have to say that your response is pretty good about putting things into perspective. Which is more than I can say for your partner Jim's response which I just felt like flaming and issuing a charge back on the credit card.First of all let me say that I like ASwxRE for the most part, but I do have issues with it, like sudden change even though I have FPUPC set to tone down the changes, overspeed death and the one thing I wanted the program to do not able to do. To get a sense of what weather is ahead visualy. I did know that AS2.0 was in development but I figured it was an upgrade since 1.91 does not work 100% with FS so I purchased.Please understand that not all of your users or purchasers or potential purchasers read this forum. I found your product while looking to buy weather center.I will drop the issue for now...

You win some, I try my best with the others!JimActiveSky Support

Guest draky

Damien,I never thought a simple one liner question would lead to giving you all this extra work mate!. Just remember if you can please 50% of the folk for 50% of the time you are doing just great. The greater majority do really appreciate your work and understand the challenges of making AS fit FS9 - at least we have an interim solution to make AS work to a degree in FS9, many other software producers have not been so thoughtful. About all the hype over releasing news of a new product - well just think of all the chatter and excitement in many forums when waiting for the FS9 release day...same goes here and it would be a pity not to have this anticipation.As for the smaller percentage of folk who want to have a 'moan and groan' session here feeling they have somehow been duped into buying AS - perhaps if they had the experience of your long time customers who keep coming back and don't mind paying for a product they might also learn in time to appreciate your work and the enhanced flying experience it brings to flight simulation.I have learned to ignore inflamatory posts, there again I'm not a software producer or running a business.Do please reconsider keeping the zipper on new products though - there are many of us who look forward to release dates and enjoy the hype created. If we can kick in with constructive suggestions - the good along with the bad and bring some issues to the front it's bound to end up with a better product.Dave