Sign in to follow this  
Guest outtatimeiii

FS Reinstall questions...

Greetings from Indiana!My friends,I had my first serious crash in 5 years. Had to reinstall Windows 98. So the registry is gone. But everything is still AOK on the hard drive... nothing in my FS2002 file seems to be missing. All I need is proper entries in the registry, I think.I have a number of add on airplanes, FS Skyworld 2002SE, OceanFX, etc. etc. Do I reinstall the whole simulator?Which files should I back up?What all will I lose by a reinstall?What would you do?Thank you very much. And a blessed Christmas season wherever you are!!Steve

I have had to do this also. Heres what I did.I backed up the following: Entire Aircraft folder (or just the ones you want) Sound folder Scenery folder (if installed Landclass or meshes etc.) Any add-on sceneries (check for folders etc) Guages folder Texture folder Scenedb/World/texture folder Effects folder (if you have added some) Any other folders like Lago, Simflyers, etc. I think this will do it, I save these then reinstallthe sim and just replace these folders. Should work fineyou may have to restore some of the DLL files for LagoFSUIPC etc, as long as you save these you will be OK.I think these are in the modules folder just save them andcopy them back in once you have re-installed. Anyone else, Am I missing anything??Good luck,Hornit

Guest outtatimeiii

I ran FS2002 without a registry for like a month in Windows 2k without much prob (I had too much stuff, and I didnt wanna reinstall :) ) It only causes a prob when you use progs that look for the reg entries for FS2002 (such as some installers, TTools, and some others). The recommended way is to reinstall FS2002 and all your addons, but for me, thats a weeklong job LOL.If your planning to reinstall FS2002, its a good idea to rename your current FS2002 install to "FS2002 old" or something, that way you can hopefully get the files from the 'old' folder and put them in the new install folder.Answers to your questions:1) Yup, reinstall is your best bet, although it will run fine without regs, not a lot of installer progs (aircaft, addons, etc.)like that too well and fail to install.2) Rename your entire current FS2002 folder (since you dont have a registry anymore, it wont hurt) and use the files from there to build up the new installed copy.3)Your planes should be ok, but i'm not too sure on anything else.P.S. Where in Indiana are you from? I happen to live in Michigan City, IN, which is in Northwest Indiana, right on Lake Michigan.