Sign in to follow this  
Guest Melvin

Wind direction error

Guest Melvin

Hi,I don't know what exactly happens, but during the last week, I have encountered a problem with ActiveSky 1.91 that I'm not able to solve. Before each flight, I clear all weather through FS2004 menu as recommended but I can notice each time after having pressed on "Refresh" button, that Wind Direction displayed by FS is not the same as reported in Metar. The gap can reach 20 degrees.For example, FS can display : Wind 000/09 although ActiveSky Metar reports : KSEA 241856Z 02009KT 10SM FEW040 SCT250 12/06 A3050.I know that FS2004 features an automatic randomization of weather but I don't think that the solution can be found on that side.Before ending,just one question : Will FSUIPC be necessary in the future if I wish to upgrade to Activesky 2 ?Thank you for your reply. MelvinHere are my FSUIPC (registered) and ActiveSky settings :FSUIPC[General]GenerateCirrus=NoWindShearSharp=NoUpperWindGusts=NoGraduatedVisibility=YesLowerVisAltitude=6000UpperVisAltitude=25000ExtendMetarMaxVis=YesPatchSimApAlt=YesAutoClearWeather=YesExtendTopWind=YesWindSmoothness=1SmoothPressure=YesPressureSmoothness=5SmoothVisibility=YesVisibilitySmoothness=2MaxSurfaceWind=0WindLimitLevel=200WindDiscardLevel=400WindAjustAltitude=NoWindAjustAltitudeBy=2000MinimumVisibility=0MaximumVisibilityFewClouds=6000MaximumVisibility=2000MaximumVisibilityOvercast=2000MaximumVisibilityRainy=1000UpperVisibility=6000OneCloudLayer=NoThinClouds=NoThinThunderClouds=NoCloudThinness=1000ThunderCloudThinness=10000CloudTurbulence=YesCloudIcing=YesWindTurbulence=NoSuppressAllGusts=NoExternalOptionControl=YesAutoTuneADF=NoMagicBattery=YesAxisCalibration=NoTCASid=FlightTCASrange=40KeepFS98CloudCover=NoRudderSpikeRemoval=NoElevatorSpikeRemoval=NoAileronSpikeRemoval=NoShowPMcontrols=NoTrapUserInterrupt=YesNavFreq50KHz=NoClockSync=YesSmoothIAS=NoTrafficScanPerFrame=10SuppressCloudTurbulence=NoSuppressWindTurbulence=NoFixWindows=NoFixControlAccel=NoMainMenu=&ModulesSubMenu=&FSUIPC ...WindSmoothing=YesWhiteMessages=NoReversedElevatorTrim=NoSetVisUpperAlt=NoVisUpperAltLimit=6000CentredDialogue=NoClearWeatherDynamics=YesOwnWeatherChanges=NoWeatherReadInterval=4[JoystickCalibration]FlapsSetControl=0ReverserControl=66292AileronTrimControl=0RudderTrimControl=0MaxThrottleForReverser=0[Monitor]Display=4ActiveSky :[General]WXREOfflinePath = F:Program FilesActiveSky wxRE24_10_19zExportPath = F:Program FilesActiveSky wxREOperationMode = OfflineDefaultOfflineFile = cycle18Z.wxdDisableCloudTransitions = FalseDisableMessages = FalseLowBandwidthWinds = FalseExportMetars = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueMETARUpdateInterval = 15FDUpdateInterval = 45UpdateMETAROnNewStation = TrueUseShortTermTAF = FalseWindsAloftSimulation = TrueFS2004Writes = TrueIdlePriority = FalseVATSIMMetars = FalseDefaultForceRange = 60ZuluConversion = 2RainVisReduction = FalseOvercastHorizonVis = FalseDisableForceWindUpdates = TrueTAFProcessing = TrueWakeTurb = FalseDisableUpdatesWhenForced = FalseStartPaused = FalseCloudTransitionInterval = 30MinimumCloudThickness = 200UseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEProxyPort = 80FS2004Path = F:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9

Melvin,Thanks for writing. Last first: I am not really sure how AS 2 is going to interface with FS. That will need to be a question for Damian.Your settings look good. The winds direction you are seeing is probably OK. Remember, FS reports True wind direction while FS04 reports Magnetic wind direction. Depending on where you are, this could be quite a bit. I'm going to try to find a map that may show this.Edit: For USA: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/potfld/img/us_d_contour.jpgFor World:http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/seg/potfld/image/WMM-00D.gifHope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest Melvin

Hi,thanks for your replies, you confirm my first thought.Your help is well appreciated. Vincent.