Sign in to follow this  
ndflieger

ActiveSky will not download wx for some reason...

Hi all,I'm running FS2002 on the original Win98 release.I've been using ActiveSky for some time now and really like the program. A couple of days ago I installed v1.91 (was using 1.90 prior to this). At first I could download wx with this latest ver, but the past two days I have been unable to. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not. The program will say that it is downloading the METAR files, but even after 20mins there is only the CycleXX.WXD file or the file that has the METARXXZ.met file with only a couple of kb's in it. However the program still says it's downloading the files. After a half hour (it NEVER took that long before - maybe 10mins at most using the low bandwidth option) of this I try to shut the program down, and the only way I can do it to ctrl alt del to bring up the task window, and then it takes about 4 tries to shut the program down, with the result it locks up the computer and I have to reboot.If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, etc...please let me know.Regards,ScottKJMS/CFII

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Scott,Are you in Online Mode?Are you in Offline Mode?Are you attempting to download files for Offline Mode use?I just tried all three and did not have any trouble. Under normal surfing is your Internet connection strong?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hi Jim,I use the "offline mode" and only use the files offline.I have had no connection/www surfing problems at all.Thanks for the quick reply!ScottKJMS/CFII

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Scott,Really strange because I just tried again and files came down real quick even for my cable connection. Other questions:Are you behind a proxy server?Firewall running?Anti-virus running?Any other software or hardware changes?Might need to go back to V1.90 just to get things "right" again.Edit: Please post your wxRE.ini file when you get a chance! Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hi Jim,Thanks again for the quick reply! No, I am not running any of the items you mentioned above. Here is my ini file://wxRE configuration file - be careful with edits here[General]WXREOfflinePath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxRE11072003_0000ZExportPath = OperationMode = OfflineDefaultOfflineFile = cycle00Z.wxdDisableCloudTransitions = FalseDisableMessages = FalseLowBandwidthWinds = TrueExportMetars = FalseAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueMETARUpdateInterval = 15FDUpdateInterval = 45UpdateMETAROnNewStation = TrueUseShortTermTAF = FalseWindsAloftSimulation = TrueFS2004Writes = FalseIdlePriority = FalseVATSIMMetars = FalseDefaultForceRange = 80ZuluConversion = -6RainVisReduction = TrueOvercastHorizonVis = TrueDisableForceWindUpdates = FalseTAFProcessing = TrueWakeTurb = TrueDisableUpdatesWhenForced = FalseStartPaused = FalseCloudTransitionInterval = 30MinimumCloudThickness = 400UseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEProxyPort = 80If I have to, how does one revert to v1.90? Just reinstall that one on top of the v1.91? Or is an uninstall of the whole program necessary?Regards - and thanks again,ScottKJMS/CFII

Scott Cebula

Jim,Don't ask me how or why, since I made no changes on my end, but I was just now able to download the wx without any problems.Scratching my head on this one...Regards,ScottKJMS/CFII

Scott Cebula

Could be your ISP and the NOAA server were having trouble communicating. Glad you are up and running in Offline Mode again! I'll consider this case as closed. If it happens alot in the future, please start a new thread!JimActiveSky Support