Sign in to follow this  
LN_OSS

Need to buy AS2 also ????

Hi !!As a owner of the ActiveSky wxRE........If you are going to take money for an update i think it's very very bad.... An update should be free for the owners of the ActiveSky wxRE..You guys should think about it one more time, maybe think about the customers you got allready !CheersStian

Guest airtel

With the greatest respect, are you saying that the manufacturers of your car should supply you with the latest model every time one is released for the rest of you life?If the developers of these programs didn't make anything in return, why should they invest their time and effort in further development.BTW I an not associated with active Sky at all in any shape or form other than being a user.I only replied to this post just to show another point of view and NOT to offend.

Guest Mark McG

Stian,AS2 is not an update.AS2 is a completely new weather engine written specifically for FS2004.A lot of new features are being introduced, what with the new weather server, the new world wide winds aloft forecasts and the prospect of a working weather radar.Q Did you buy ASWXRE before AS 2 was announced?I remember the same thing happened with FSMETEO when it went from v4 to v5.

aaaaah ok, so it's not an update... Then i understand why it's not an free update :)...for the Q, yes i did buy it shortly after it was released !.. :)All the bestStian

Thanks everyone for the mature way this was handled!JimActiveSky Support

We'll send you a free copy OK. (It will be in the mail)JimActiveSky Support

With all due respect to all involved in the making of ActiveSky, and to the poster above (Mark McG) while I do not believe the upgrade should be free, FWIW it's still an upgrade. You state that you must have a previous version of ActiveSky installed to use the "upgrade". You also have special discount pricing for the "upgrade". It may be a complete re-write specifically for FS2004 but it is still an upgrade by definition. (See #3 below)Main Entry: 1up

Well, it was mature for awhile. I guess I was wrong.JimActiveSky Support

Todd,Points taken, but you are simply asking for too much. You mention the whole FS add-on commercial community as being suspect. I think you need to look at the bigger picture and perhaps step in the developer's shoes and you may understand why these things cost money and must be charged for.I have worked on wxRE for free for over 10 months post-release with FREE updates and MANY improvements in functionality, new features, etc. I have supported the product above and beyond the call of duty. I added full international winds aloft, for example.. that took MONTHS and many $$$$ that I gave for free. If you've had wxRE for close to a year, you've already received many many updates.Sorry that isn't good enough! You, like many others, are being unrealistic with your expectations. I wont hold it against you or anyone else. Perhaps the question to ask is WHY do you have such high expectations? Maybe I am doing something wrong? This could be a good discussion of future practices. Anybody, please chime in.One final note...If you want endless improvements and new features, where your suggestions always become reality, for free, do what I did: make it yourself...Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2betateam.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Sorry you feel it was immature.Let me make a small correction that you or others may misinterpret.>If the developers of these programs didn't make anything in return, why should they invest their time and effort in further development.They shouldn't invest their time. But the way this constant cycle is working, they are also making money on their previous customers repeatedly for the same product by charging for upgrades. And it's not just this FS add-on but many others. It's some kind of FS add-on business model that really smells a foul odor.What I meant was that they shouldn't invest their time as I agree it wouldn't be worth it. My statement agreed with the original poster but I then gave an opinion about the current state of the constant upgrade cycle.Jim I respect what Damian is doing and I just read his reasoning for the price increase in another post here on the forum. I knew nothing nor followed the stuff about the server and such. But I'm still entitled to opinion and I posted such. I thought I kept it in a mature way but I guess in your eyes I didn't. I would expect developers to be able to at least hear the comments of their customers, good or bad.Thanks for putting up with me and I'm out of here. Keep up the good work!Todd

Todd,My second post was not aimed at you. I would have responded directly under your post. I left your opinion alone.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Damian:My post was taken all wrong. I never said nor felt that you weren't meeting my expectations or that your work wasn't good enough. What I stated was about the high upgrade price. I never made any comments about program quality. And I understand about software developers. I was actively involved in Microsoft Train Simulator add-ons for awhile.Like said in my other post which posted after yours, keep up the good work and I'm out of here.Opinions given, opinions taken. End of conversation.Todd

Guest Lars K. R.

Just want to add an comment to help people understand why AS2 is not free:Microsoft does not give you the next operating system for free each time they make a new one, i.e. if you have win 98 you wont get win XP for free, but youll get a discounted "upgrade version" that requires the win 98 disc to be installed.Its the same with AS2, existing AS wsRE users will get an discounted "upgrade version" that requires wxRE to be installed..Best regardsLars

Guest airtel

Todd,With respect - If you did not appreciate my analagy regarding the automobiles, how about something a little closer to home.Nobody holds a gun to the head of a man running DOS v3.30 on an 80286 processor with 1mb of Ram of which only 640k is usable, the words of bill gates still ringing in the ears "640k is enough for any man". Everything worked just fine and dandy. Along came the pentium 4 32 & 64 bit processing.... well I don't see them handing out machines on street corners and dear old mister gates mailing free or even resonably priced upgrades. In my honest opinion if you'll excuse my french I feel that some of the more larger packages on the upgrade side are tantamout to sodomy with a cactus, but there's the rub. If I want the technology I have to pay for it.I'm not arguing the point of how much the upgrade costs as I personally have no idea what time or effort etc was put into writing any of these programs, but if an individual or company is prepared to make an update with new features then they should be entitled to charge for it. How much is another question, though democracy dictates its a free country and they can charge whatever they feel is appropriate.I respect your views on the subject, but feel you should also respect the views of the devlopers and basically agree to disagree peacefully and amicably.This is NOT meant to be an attack or insult upon yourself but an elaboration of my point of view.Please do not take my comments personally!Keep well :)