Sign in to follow this  

ActiveSky wxRE v1.92 update has been released. This update reduces the severity of wind and cloud shifts by utilizing some improved FS2004 weather setting routines. All FS2004 wxRE users should update to this latest version. To download the free update, go to our downloads page at http://www.hifisim.com/downloads.htm-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest sitzkrieg

Great news! That was the only thing keeping me from using ActiveSky more often in FS2004. Can't wait to try it.Excellent job! And since this feature looks like it will be fixed for AS2, I guess I'll be buying that as well.Keith

Ron,Go to the downloads page and it is the top item. You may have to refresh your browser. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Good news!!I already use WxRE in FS2004, but this update will certainly improve the weather features.Thanks, Damian!

Guest sitzkrieg

I tried the 1.92 update out last night in FS2004. While there is still a jump when winds aloft are updated, it is no worse than the one that also occurs with FS2004's "Real World Weather" feature and much improved over the rollercoaster ride your plane would take during a wind update previously in 1.91.Good job, Damian and thanks.Keith

Hi,Thanks Keith...The problem was in the NWI write routines, discovered while beta testing AS2...wxRE is still using global wx simulation, setting the GLOBAL wx and the NEAREST STATIONS WITH ACTUAL ICAO ENTRIES (as per the FS2004 database) to back them up, to prevent wind locks (FS2004 bug). When the NWI problem was fixed the wx values are much more consistent.. less shifts but of course because we are still using GLOBAL wx there is much room for improvement.Because AS2 is station-based and has no global wx requirements, we avoid this problem altogether. Of course, there are new problems in this approach, but in our findings we have achieved MUCH better results over default wx. And we continue to fine tune to make it even better..-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest sitzkrieg

Sounds like you've got it fixed pretty good for AS2. The winds aloft smoothing issue was the main thing holding me back from buying it right away. Looking forward to it's release.Keith

Damian, Glad to hear that you folks are making progress on the wind smoothing issue, it has gotten so frustrating having my aircraft knocked around at altitude that at times I just go back to FS2002... I ordered the 1.92 version yesterday, and it does make things a bit better. Even though at times you still get the wind shears despite the FSUIPC settings and smoothing routines...but still better. I would have just waited for AS2 next month instead of forking over the $$ for this version, but the frustration drove me to it! regards,

Damian,Remiss of me not to have thanked you for this unexpected but welcome upgrade earlier, thank you.I have both ActiveSky and your main competitor installed and tend to use t'other more purely because I have been using it longer.Recently the other one has been giving strange 'winds aloft' values so have switched back to ActiveSky.As both have been upgraded recently it will be interesting to compare the two although I do intend to purchase V2 when it is released.I am currently on a flight from Malta back to UK and used wx briefing in the hope of finding out winds aloft for fuel planning, alas they are not shown in wx briefing and there was no available winds aloft for the default US stations (guess their server is off line again).I thought at one stage winds aloft were available in the wx briefing screen, did they go in one of the updates when you were having trouble with them?I assume V2 will have none-US winds aloft available in the wx briefing screen?Rgds