Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doubi

Look at what it will be .... with AS2 !

Guest Glenn

This is really nice stuff, but if I may ask a couple of questions here on AS2.All the pics in this thread are really great, but do they say anything about AS2? AS simply sets the weather in to FS9 that is occuring/has occured in the real world, so could I not set these same conditions by manually setting up FS9's weather program (that sounds like cynisim, but it's not meant to be, and yes, I could do that if I didn't care about updates, etc., etc. :-)) I used wxRE for some time and really liked it, so I strongly believe AS2 is going to be worth every penny, and I certainly plan on buying it when it's released. What I find would be VERY helpful, would be more detail/info on the "overcast enhancements" (one I'm very eager to find out about given FS9's really poor idea of a stratus overcast deck!), is there weather on trans-oceanic flights (not just upper winds), is there now full worldwide wx coverage, and items such as that. If anyone can provide info on that type of thing, without breaching any beta testing confidentiality agreements, I would really appreciate hearing about those. I know Damian's work ethic, and his excellence in programming thus I'm not at all worried this won't be anything but a terrific add-on. In this thread, I'm primarily very interested in hearing more about these enhancements.Thanks very much for any info you might be able to provide. Have a great one :-).

Glenn,Thanks for your continued interest in our products. To be fair to everyone, the beta team has been at it for less than a week and already we have made major, positive strides in the areas you asked about. I hope that you will keep watching, for when we get closer to release, more detail will be known to ALL of us. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest rellehenk

This is really beatifull.I am certainly going to buy this program :D

Guest Glenn

"I hope that you will keep watching,..."Count on it sir :-). Thanks for the update. I'm sure it will be really great.

Hi Glenn,This is a common question, what does AS2004 do that FS9 doesn't do already?Well going with your example about being able to just manually set, sure, you can do that, but AS2004 is doing this for every station within 200nm, and doing it intelligently to bring you a smooth and realistic experience throughout your entire flight. Imagine having a team of aviation weather experts analyzing currently available observations and forecasts for your specific flight, then fine tuning all the data to make it look and feel as real as possible within the intracasies of FS9.Overcast enhancement will double-up overcast layers so that you get a solid deck with minimal "holes". Be warned, however, that lower-end systems may suffer with frame rates while using this option... None of our beta testers nor I have any complaints about performance (yet!) but it is worth noting.. more cloud layers = more FPS hit, especially when dealing with overcast.Remote-area weather (areas without close reporting stations): Well the winds are going to be right on, but as for the surface conditions, this is now interpolated by a complex routine during flight planning processing. The results here are impressive, as those beta testers who fly in remote areas have reported. So the answer is yes. :) Note also that you can enable new FS9 dynamic weather changes which will work nicely when flying long distances over areas with few reporting points in range. When you get back in range, normal weather setting based on AS2004's processing will prevail again.In conclusion, everything about AS2004 is made for FS2004, and to take maximum advantage of it. The improvements over stock weather are immense! That was/is the whole idea with this add-on...Thanks for your questions! Hope that helps!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Glenn

Hi DamianThank you VERY much for your information here. I really appreciate you taking the time out to answer as I do understand how busy you are and as Jim suggested, we'll all know when the time gets closer. This sounds really outstanding! Once again, it will for sure be on my "must-get" list once released. Sounds like you'll have yet another winner on your hands :-). Admittedly, I'll be interested to see how much the fluidity of the sim is affected by the new enhanced overcast feature, as mine seems to take a beating in FS9 "unenhanced". That is very disappointing to me given that I have a very high end system. However, after making NUMEROUS tweaks in XP Pro itself, I've managed to get a pretty good smoothness now for the most part. All that said, I am totally behind any effort that works to improve the overcast (non-overcast) situation in the default version. For me, Weather is the second most important part of the sim (with only the sim being ahead of it - wx doesn't really matter without the sim :-) ), so I will FIND a way to smooth out the display with the enhanced overcast, should that become necessary.So go for it Damian :-). Once again I really appreciate your time and efforts, and I'll be patiently awaiting the release. Thanks again, and all the best.Glenn