Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Damian or Jim...WC2 question....

Guest abent

I didn't want to post in this forum but I noticed that HiFi now 'owns' WeatherCenter2. Can WC2 be used with FS2004 download static weather? I want the weather radar and winds aloft/weather info offered by this program but not for online updates. Or like AS, downloaded weather. My internet connection sucks and I'd rather use offline weather. So, will it work in this manner. I will be buying AS2 when it comes out - I assume it will be able to use downloaded/offline weather files. I really like the radar in WC2. I also assume that AS2 will have FlightMax compatibility.Thanks, Adam

Posting here or at the WC forum would have been fine. I check both places! WC does offer Offline Mode or can use AS weather in Offline Mode and no updates in WC just to use the radar. OR seeing that you will be buying AS2 you may want to hold off just for awhile. If Damian wants to add more detail to this, he will.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest abent

Thanks Jim, So, I CAN use WC in offline mode. Will it work with FS weather or do I download WC weather files to use with it? I just want the radar and the info about winds aloft and such. I'm happy with FS weather for the time being until AS is released so long as the radar and winds aloft stuff works now.When AS2 is released, will it have a operational weather radar?Sorry about all the questions...just getting a tad excited here! LOLAdam

Yes, WC has an Offline Mode. Here is a cut from the manual:"NOAA OFFLINE 'NOAA Offline' is a hybrid weather source designed for pilots that desire real-world weather, but prefer to fly while not connected to their Internet Service Provider (ISP). Weather "sets" are downloaded from the Internet and used by the NOAA Offline weather source. A weather set is a complete list of weather reports from ALL airports around the world. The NOAA Offline weather source provides a way to download a weather set from NOAA, save it to disk, and load it for later use. Saving and loading the weather set from a file is optional. Weather may be downloaded and used right away if desired. When the NOAA Offline weather source is selected, a configuration button is provided (labeled CFG) that displays a page of options and controls. These options and controls are used to download, load and save weather sets. For more information about the NOAA Offline weather source configuration page, refer to the Weather Source Mode reference page.Weather sets are archived on the NOAA servers in rotating cycles. Each set is identified by the hour in which the data was collected within the last 24 hours. The hour/cycle is always given in terms of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). WC2 sets the default selected cycle to whichever is the most current. This cycle may be modified to download weather sets from cycles up to 24 hours in the past." I'll wait for Damian to speak on the weather radar for AS2(called Active Sky2004)!Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest abent

Thanks Jim. I'm trying out the demo. I'm getting a fair bit of flashing on the screen. I just haven't read the docs yet.Thanks again, Adam

What is flashing?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest abent

Hi Jim, I was getting flashing on my monitor. It appeared to be outside of the aircraft through the window above the main panel. The scenery was flashing; random quick white flashes.I'm going to experiment a bit more with the program. Just using the demo at this point.Slightly off topic: will it ever be possible to resize the main WC2 window so it could fit neatly on a panel?I like what I see of WC2, especially the radar, but I'm virtually certain I'm going to get AS2, so I'm kind of at a standstill at this point. It would be nice to have the programs amalgamated so one could have the advances of AS2 and functional radar. I went through a lot last time trying to get FsFlightMax to work properly with AS.Thanks Jim.Adam

Can't re-size it that much. However in situation mode the window gets quite small. Damian can speak on the radar for Active Sky 2004. I am not sure on its progress.Do you get that flashing without WC running?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest abent

OK thanks Jim.No, I don't get the flashing without WC running. I'm going to set it up again today and have another go at it. I'll post back.Adam

Guest abent

OK Damian I'll try that.Thanks, Adam