Sign in to follow this  
Guest Glenn

Cloud Tops

Guest Glenn

OK, first off, let me make it perfectly clear that this is NOT an wxRE and/or AS2 bug I'm referring to. I simply am posting this question here because in reality, this IS the premier site for FS9 (and before) wx questions, and if there's an answer to be found, it is here :-) (man, how's that for buttering up the moderators/participants, eh? :-lol).On a (rather bumpy with some rather "nasty" windshears that FS is known for) flight last night, I found myself pretty much solid in the soup at FL280. Note I was using another popular payware wx addon. The next lowest cloud base was listed at 3500 overcast, so I was a bit curious about being in the stuff at that altitude. Since I was on a reasonably long trip, I climbed to FL320 (this was over Canada - we have RVSM now :-eek), but still found myself in it solid. Now I remember back in the FS2002 days, FSUIPC had a fix for the problem of the "whiteout" sticking when you left the bottoms of the clouds. In this case, I was out the top, and still had zero vis. Have others witnessed this "phenomena" (one could argue that FS9 has a number of rather "unique phenomena" when it comes to weather, that weren't there in FS2002 :-fume), and if so, does it happen when using the FS9 default download wx program? Have the makers and beta testers of AS2 noticed this and been able to correct for this problem if they did notice it?Thanks guys. As I said, this isn't an AS problem, but more an FS problem, but I'm trying to track down the roots of this thing. Appreciate the help.

Next time please send some popcorn with the butter!With your setup do you have any random cloud generation turned on? This could be it. No notice of this from me in testing Active Sky 2004.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest Glenn

Hi Jim,Sorry, I ate the popcorn before I got here :-lol. Next time :-).No, I turned off all the extra stuff that way. I did get it again today when using the FS9 default wx online program. However, I do have installed the "Blue Sphere" effects, which "may" be doing it (not sure about that). It's not a really big deal, and the Blue Sphere effects are phenomenal (and I doubt they would interfere in any way with any add-on wx program - they just change the tones of the atmosphere and ground textures a bit). That's probably not the cause as it is strictly a texture change. Anyway, not sure what/why on this, but I'll try troubleshooting a bit more. It could even be a visibility thing where I'm getting ground vis at altitude, but most likely this is some switch I've got positioned somewhere in my setup, so it's just a matter of time till I find it. I just thought that if it were something common to FS9, I wouldn't spend time looking for the root cause.Thanks Jim :-).

In FSUIPC go and hit "Use Normal Defaults" or try "Minimum Weather Defaults."Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support