Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

RELEASE STATUS (ActiveSky2004)

Hi everyone!!!We're in the final strech here, and the Beta Team and I are hard at work trying to fix some last minute issues to ensure that the release is high quality and as trouble-free as possible.Right now it looks like it may take another day or two to wrap things up. Possibly Wednesday or Thursday. Stay tuned here, we will post more information as it becomes available! Thanks everyone for your patience and support!Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest rugerdog

I think I'll be waiting till after the new year sometime to buy add-ons, these release maybe/maybe not dates, lol, kinda get hard to bear after a while. I'm going through the not-so-fun process of trying to get the newly released PMDG 737 update now and my frustration level is maxed out completely. :) AS2004 looks good though and should be a winner. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Guest Glenn

Well, still better to get it right than to get it early. Besides, we're only talking a couple of days or so here - big deal :-)

Guest flynman2

Thanks for the update......Please take a lesson from PMDGs SU2 disaster...not exactly the way to conduct buisness.Got my CCard readyThanks

>Please take a lesson from PMDGs SU2 disaster...not exactly the>way to conduct buisness.What disaster? PMDG made it VERY apparent before SU2's release that there would be a huge load on the server and that many people may not be able to access the file for several days. What do you suggest they do? Had they not throttled the server, people would be complaining about the 0.2k/sec speed they'd get in addition to not being able to get into the server! If they'd made it a smaller patch, people would be complaining about the overly complex install routine etc. It's a no win situation - they're not a huge company like Flight 1 who can provide nearly limitless bandwidth.Not trying to turn this into an argument on AS's forum, but I don't like seeing this effort by PMDG berated like this - they didn't even have to make SU2, but they wanted their product to be as good as it could be before moving on. The fact that people give them crap for this is ridiculous.Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest flynman2

They have had several offers this morning alone from people offering to allow them free mirror sites on their servers and they(PMDG) have not responded as to wheather they have or have not accepted these offers......I cannot understand why Avsim has not offered them some of their library space temporarly.Regards

Hi Ryan,This sort of thing is expected in this community. PMDG has an awesome add-on that everyone wants to get their hands on right away. They are very anxious and impatient, who can blame them? The product is that good. Consider it a compliment, if the product wasn't so great people wouldn't care as much and wouldn't be complaining like they are :)With that said, I have to tip my hat once again to PMDG and you and the rest of the PMDG Beta Team for doing a great job.. while I have not seen SU2 yet I know it was a success based on the feedback I've heard.I'd also like to say to all that are frustrated with PMDG, it really isn't their fault, they have tried to do everything they can with the limited resources that are available to them (remember this is almost 100MB download!). They even made sure beforehand to let everyone know that the download would take time, and would seriously stress the servers for a few days. PMDG is a high-quality outfit with a great bunch of talented, candid and very fair guys, their decisions in the distribution department have been great IMO and a developer can only WISH to have the same problems due to such a large, active and responsive user base. :) Please be patient with PMDG, it will be worth your wait...Those concerned, please don't worry about download issues with AS2004 release..., while we do have a large user base, our download size is less than 10MB, and SIMMARKET will be handling the distribution. They have a great system that I have YET to hear any complaint about, even during release-time!'Thanks all..-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

PMDG can't have third parties mirroring the installer - they did post about this in one of Robert's anchored posts. It kicks the door wide open to theft and privacy issues. (the user database would have to be distributed to the mirror operators) All it would take is one bad apple and suddenly the file is on Kazaa for everyone to grab free of charge. AVSIM is not going to give free bandwidth away to a commercial enterprise so people can get their download faster. It's PMDG's problem and they've been more than forthcoming about keeping people informed and trying to solve it as fast as they can. You speak as if this is trivial to set something like that up too - it isn't. The download script and server system is a very complicated piece of software designed to protect the security of the files.Damian,Hope you get to try SU2 out at some point - maybe you can hit Robert up on a trade - AS2004 for SU2! ;) Can't wait to get AS2004 - got my Visa ready! If it solves the ridiculous windshear we've all had to deal with in FS2004, it'll be a must have addon for everyone! That was a HUGE annoyance trying to test SU2's autopilot functions in real world weather because of the wind upsetting the airplane etc...Thanks!Ryan

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest Lobaeux4

Totally agree with you Ryan. The PMDG guys have been very honest and forthcoming about what this update was going to do to their servers.Can't wait for AS2004!!

Guest Len

>What disaster? PMDG made it VERY apparent before SU2's release that there would be a huge load on the server and that many people may not be able to access the file for several days. What do you suggest they do?Relax. The guy can't post same on the PMDG site so he correctly notes the problems. Myself, it's been 60 hours and counting and have not been able to get the product. If you don't think a few lessons can be learn't from this well then you may be unteachable.

Guest draky

When we get our mitts on AS2004 will we have to uninstall ASv1.92 first? - I guess the answer is a resounding YES of course but just like to make sure - thanks.Dave

Guest Mark McG

Dave,Yes and No.No in that AS2004 is a new product and has a different program interface to AS 1.92. You might also want to keep AS1.92 installed to use with FS2002 if you still have that installed.Yes in that once you have seen AS2004 in action, you will want to remove it. I still have AS1.92 installed, but have not used it since I started testing AS2004.

Guest draky

Hi Mark,Thanks for the reply - I'm a long time user of Active Sky and will definitely ONLY want to have the AS2004 in FS9 (I dumped FS2002 months ago) so I do need to uninstall ASv1.92 before I attempt to install AS2004 - right?Dave

Dave,Leave wxRE V1.92 on your machine for now. After you install AS 2004, then, if you want to, uninstall wxRE.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest draky

Ok Jim thanks - see I do pop in here too (occasionally) :)Dave