Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevchris

PMDG 737 and AS2004!!

Load a flightplan. Not sure if entering the stations manually has the same affect. I do know that if the plan had waypoints those would not get processed the same. Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Hi Kevin,I have attempted to contact PMDG, but have not received any response. I have tried to learn more about why they claim wx add-ons cause problems, and why nothing on PMDG side can be done about it. Obviously wx realism in FS9 is problematic. Which is why we made AS2004 in the first place. Why would anyone want to deny compatibility with the more realistic weather? I can only suggest that AS2004/PMDG users please contact PMDG and request that they correspond with me on this topic, or make certain information publicly available so developers can work around any issues presented.Anyhow, after much investigation, it appears that the ONLY issue here is the FMC's descent planning routines which scan for winds inside the existing FS9 weather zones (namely the ones that cross the horizontal descent path). What makes a wx add-on different than FS9 default here? Well, for one, features like route-based wind smoothing, destination force, suppression ceiling, etc., can alter these winds unexpectedly (as far as the PMDG FMC is concerned). This can negatively effect the descent profile logic. This effect would be noticed on your EOD indication and in VNAV's computation of when to initiate the descent and at what speed/fpm. This does not effect the MCP/autopilot's ability to stay engaged, and as some other users suggested, this is caused by improper MCP usage.The solution to the descent profile issue is to disable route-based wind smoothing to disable ANY POSSIBILITY of the winds changing unpredictably. This may result in sharper wind transitions. FWIW, I've tested the PMDG737 SU2 now for over 20 hours with AS2004, and have not noticed any problem with AP disengagements, descent profile, etc (this is WITH route based wind smoothing enabled). So I cannot confirm that there is any problem at all, only that PMDG claims there is one and that the route-based wind smoothing could pose a problem in this regard, so disable this option if you are concerned.These are my findings based solely from the limited information PMDG has provided on the subject, and our own internal testing results. There may be other issues as well but until PMDG provides this information we will not be able to confirm. I want everyone to know that I am doing everything I can to work with PMDG on the "ideal" solution but obviously until they share more information or respond to me to specifically address this, there is not much more that can be done. Perhaps in a few weeks when things settle down and the holidays are over, we'll be hearing from them :) Thanks all...-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Mark McG

Further to Damian's post,I tested the beta version of AS2004, with SU2 of the 737 when it was released. I have not found any problems with the FMC in terms of VNAV calculations. In fact I use the WX Briefing option of AS to enable me to enter enroute winds aloft forecasts into the FMC, and to enter expected descent forecasts as well in the DES page of the FMC.Having read some of the recent replies to various questions on the PMDG forum, it seems they are taking a break for the festive season.Now what would be real cool would be to request AS WX reports via the FMC in a simialr style to ACARS WX reports.

>Now what would be real cool would be to request AS WX reports via the FMC in a simialr style to ACARS WX reports.

Guest Mark McG

Vulcan,I am not on the PMDG Beta Team.I am on the AS Beta Team.Mats Johanson is on both.

Guest pagotan

Hi Damian,I just sent you a message relating to this issue.Michael

Gents:Are you sure that you're not hitting wake turbulence? I have definitely had the PMDG A/P kick off after hitting wake turbulence, but never have it kick off from wind shifts.I have wake turbulence off and I have yet to experience this issue with the PMDG 737 and AS2004.James