Sign in to follow this  
nigelgrant

How to change an IRQ in Windows98

I see there is a new posting at this forum re changing IRQ's in WIndowsXP. My problem is with Windows98.My new system is up and running well and stable after all the initial hassle I reported on and received much offered advice (New Video Card Disaster). However my video card and sound card are both occupying IRQ11 whereas IRQ5 is free. I would like to move my sound card to IRQ5.I have tried changing the IRQ settings in the AWARD BIOS - no effect. (I understand Windows98 allocates IRQ's automatically.)I have gone into Control PanelSystemDevices and Resources for the sound card, where you are supposed to be able to change the IRQ - I un-ticked the "automatic" box and clicked on "change" but got the message "This setting cannot be changed". I repeated this procedure for the video card, could not change this either. I moved the sound card to another slot - still no change. I might try disabling my PNP and see whether that helps? Any ideas or expewriences?NigelVancouverMy System:AMD Athlon XP 2100+ Gigabyte GA 7VAX mobo Albatron GEForce4 Ti 4200P Turbo128MB video card (40.72drv)512MB Samsung PC2100DDR RAMIBM 40GB 7200rpm hard driveMaxtor 20GB 7200rpm hard driveSB128 sound card (updated drivers)CHProducts PCI yoke and pedalsWindows 98FE updatedTwo case fans

I have an Award Bios, and locking the IRQ on specific slots does force Windows 98 to use that IRQ. I've placed my Sound Card on 5, and my Modem on 10, since the system seemed most stable with that setup.You may want to go back into the BIOS, and make sure your settings are being saved. Also, make sure neither card is in a shared slot. AGP and their adjacent PCI slots are usually shared, and the same is true of MB's like mine that have ISA slots (I have 2 ISA, 5 PCI, and 1 AGP).You sound like you know where to go. I found I have the best results by locking the IRQ's in BIOS (if the BIOS supports that), and letting Windows reassign the IRQ. Manually assigning the IRQ's within Windows itself I wouldn't recommend, having learned from hard experience.-John

Thx John for your comments and suggestions, there is no way I can get the IRQ to change, either by BIOS, Windows devices or even removing within devices and taking the sound card out, booting then re-booting with the sound card in My dealer had confirmed this cannot be done.So I have enabled the audio features on my mobo, which my dealer claims is much superior to my old PCI128 sound card. Now my audio and video are on separate IRQ's, I don't know if it has made any difference but it is a lot healthier. Incidently the only card I have in my box is the video card, my new mobo has a LAN built into it.My new rig seems to be stable almost all the time with the 41.09 drivers and the graphics look excellent. I would still like more fps in the detailed airports as would everyone, but all-in-all it is pretty impressive.Thx againNigel