Sign in to follow this  
Guest ba747heavy

videocard

any advice on which video card to get......many thx boeingb

hiim using the ATI 8500 64mb at moment,really nice card.should be quite cheap.if you've got the money the 9700 seems to be the one at the moment to go for....but a lot more expensive best wishes steve

Guest SlimDady

If you want the best the radeon 9700pro is currently it. The new all in wonder version is out to(comes with tv out and remote and stuff)Next in performance would be the Geforce 4 4600 its slowly droping in price and will still give great performance. You could even pick up the 4200 variation and overclock it to the same specs as the 4600.I have seen a Geforce 4 4200 for 240$ canadian, which is a damn good deal.

Guest jase439

ATI seems the way to go. You'll be waiting until spring if you want nVidia's competing DX9 solution. Some people have naysay'd ATI's driver support, but Mike_T has a system that will set your hair on fire if you get too close to it - he's using a Radeon 9700, I believe. I think he's had quite a bit of success with the drivers and the card.BTW, if you do go the nVidia route...you might as well settle on a 4400 and save yourself a $100. If you get a Leadtek card, it overclocks easily past 4600 specifications without breaking a sweat.J

Guest ba747heavy

ATI is NOT the way to go. FS seems to have a problem with the new 9700. At least, that is what I gather. Your best bet is the Ti4600. It is gettin cheap. BTW, $240 for a Ti4200!? $210 for the Ti4600, and $140 for the 128 MG variant of the ti4200. Peace

>BTW, $240 for a Ti4200!? $210 for the Ti4600, and $140 for the 128 MG variant of the ti4200.;)? CAD240 = USD150.Cheers,Gosta.

Guest ba747heavy

Gosta --Lol, I wish I could get a Ti4200 for 90USD. I musta mixed up my currencies. thanks for the correction :-)

FS2k2 has no problem with the new ATI 9700. I don't know where you get that idea. Unless you listen to the nvidiots here on this forum. They did a poll over at rage3d and the vast majority had no issues with the 9700 and FS2k2. Sure, a few have had problems with their equipment and the 9700. That's what happens when you buy the cheapest of the cheap motherboards, ram, processors, etc. or try to merge old equipment with new technology. You end up with problems and let's just blame it on the new high quality video card. Geez. Get your facts straight. Don't even try to tell me that those with GF cards don't have their share of problems with FS2k2. Does that mean the GF cards have problems with FS2k2. No, of course not. I read about GF problems with FS2k2 on these forums everyday. I certainly am not gonna make the leap you just made.And BTW; the ATI9700 drivers are great. They work perfect. I've owned two nvidia cards and I can say from experience that the 9700 blows anything nvidia has away bigtime. Not only in shear power, but in Image Quality. I just hope the new NV30 at least matches the 9700 in both categories. Competition is great for all of us.

Guest ba747heavy

I think you need an attitude adjustment. I make an observation, based on what I had seen on this forum. I didn't make anything up. So maybe YOU need to get your facts straight.I don't believe that I EVER said that NVidias drivers were great, and that they were flawless. Far from it. In fact, NOBODY in this thread has mentioned ATI's drivers as anything but good. But again, from MY observations show that the drivers have sucked. But I hear from my ATI owning friends that this is changing. Good on ATI.Ok, so the image quality is better. Ummm, I seem to remember hearing that the card is speced out better than a Ti4600, and NEWER than a Ti4600. duh, of course it is going to be nicer. But I feel that the card is overpriced(to be completely fair to ATI, I haven't priced a card of theres in months, but the Ti4600 is about $200, and you can't beat that)This thing about lowest cost comp parts, shove it. you know why? I see that YOU dind't build your comp. You had Alienware do it. Fine, but until you build a computer, and have a limited budget(as I did when I built my comp, and I will you what I had to comprimise in a couple of ways), I don't want to hear that song and dance.And this thing about NVidiots, go shove it where the sun don't shine.And yes, I do need an attitude adjustment

Guest HansGroenewold

Hello,I got the Leadtek Ti4600 and wanted to know what it can be over clocked to, safely. There is no recommendation in the user's guide that came with it. Thanks.Hans

Guest ba747heavy

Hans --I have a PNY Ti4600, so I don't know how relevant my speculations are about your card. However, there a couple of things to be considered:1) There isn't much farther you can go with a Ti4600. I have looked into OCing, and I think that it is kinda silly on a Ti4600. However, a Tu4200 is a different story.2) If your going to do it, get a new fan for your card. The one that comes with the card sucks.3) Not so sure on the how-tos or what-fors, but download RivaTuner and you can mess with the clock settings.

Guest HansGroenewold

ba747Heavy,Thanks for the tip. The card comes with software that allows you to overclock it. Sounds to me like I should probably leave it as is. I'm happy with the performance and maybe for once, I'll leave well enough alone.Hans

thx bud....l just bought the ati radeon 8500 128ddr...can u use the nvidia drivers or is it best to use the ati drivers thx.

just bought it but it`s the 128ddr video card....is any setting l should know to get the best look and performance in fs2002?thx

Hans,You don't need any new fans to overclock your Ti4600, the Leadtek has one of the best heatsink/fan combos for graphics cards I have seen. I safely overclocked my Ti4600.Overclocking is alright for 3D Mark etc, but it really doesn't improve much performance in MSFS.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers