Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ken_Salter

Wild winds aloft changes crashed my plane...

Guest Ken_Salter

I am using the alpha release of the update.I was flying from KMIA to KLAS using the PMDG 737/700. I still get the wild wind swings once I get up in altitude.Most of the time the plane would recover.Then half way though my trip I decided to bump up the sim rate to 4x.Not 5 minutes later, I get AIRCRAFT OVERSTRESSED. During that time, the aircraft was pitching and yawing wildly. The winds were changing directions and speeds quite frequently.Is there anyway to avoid these wild wind changes? Can I not download winds aloft data or something like that?Besides this, I really like the program.Thanks,

Ken,We are continuing to work on the winds issue. Also, bumping the sim rate will cause problems. If you fly a default plane does this happen?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest Ken_Salter

Haven't tried a default plane - all I fly lately is the PMDG (for obvious reasons). I'll give it a shot with a default plane later today and let you know. Thanks for the response.

Hi Ken,Just wanted to confirm that this was all related to wind shifts, not turbulence?"Can I not download winds aloft data or something like that?"Not sure I understand. You are downloading the entire globe's winds aloft at the highest resolution known to simming /g/. The problem with wind shifts is that FS9 wants to disregard what you've set the winds to when the ascending layer goes counterclockwise in direction versus clockwise. A very serious bug in FS9 that has caused many of us lots of sleepless nights... Work continues full speed to improve things here. I haven't heard of such wind shifts since the alpha update though, and have yet to experience anything myself that has been significant (I have been testing with PMDG737 as well). Positive it was shifts and not possible clear air turbulence?Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Ken_Salter

Well, I guess I'll try to record a flight video to show it.Basically you'll be flying along let's say into a headwind of 90 at FL390. One of two things may happen:1) The speed of the wind changes and the direction may change slightly. This causes a interesting "curl" on the PMDG display showing predicted flight path. The plane will yaw to the right or left, then straighten out. The speed of the plane may increase or decrease by a small amount, but the A/P eventually gets it straight.2) The speed changes AND the direction changes by a great deal ( > 20 degrees). This causes the PMDG to either ascend or descend a significant amount ( 4000 fpm) The speed will increase or decrease by a significant amount (stall speeds or > .80 mach). The A/P has a really tough time handling this, and in my case it eventually caused an AIRCRAFT OVERSTRESSED msg, but that may also be because I was running at 4x simulation rate at that particular time. However, these changes were occurring at normal rate also.As far as winds aloft, I was wondering if I could just have 0 winds aloft globally. Then I wouldn't have to worry about it. Of course this isn't realistic, but neither is what is going on now ;-).Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. As a software developer myself, I know how frustrating it can be when the problem is in a 3rd party application (MSFS in this case).Thanks,

Guest GiZBUG

Same thing happened to me last night. Posky 747, KORD to KCLEI was out over lake michigan, and the airspeed pegged to max, and winds blew me everywhere, and overstressed/crashed.Also using alpha release

Guest rugerdog

Post Delete by Moderator. You have already been warned too many times James!

Guest rogue1

Had these problems before. I made some setting changes and they have pretty much gone. Here are my ini files:FSUIPC.ini (unregistered):(General)History=SFXBMWI2MWM8022PDSK41TCASid=FlightTCASrange=40TrafficScanPerFrame=10AxisCalibration=NoCentredDialogue=YesClearWeatherDynamics=YesOwnWeatherChanges=NoWeatherReadInterval=4MoveBGLvariables=YesMainMenu=&ModulesSubMenu=&FSUIPC ...AS2004.ini://AS2004 configuration file(General)WindowPosX = 8385WindowPosY = 5685DefaultWeatherFolder = D:FS2004ModulesActiveSky2004SuppressionCeiling = 2000SurfaceWindLimit = 10CloudLayerLimit = 10LocalSuppressionRange = 80OnlineUpdates = TrueExtendedDestinationWindsForce = FalseGlobalWrites = TrueVoicePlayback = TrueLocalSuppression = TrueStartupSound = FalseUseProxyServer = FalseFogLayerGeneration = TrueUpdateSuppression = TrueOvercastEnhancement = TrueRouteWindSmoothing = TrueLimitSurfaceWinds = TrueLimitCloudLayers = FalseDisableUpperLayerGeneration = FalseVisibilitySmoothing = FalseDisableMessages = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueUpdateInterval = 10VATSIMData = FalseZuluConversion = -8TAFProcessing = FalseWakeTurb = TrueStartPaused = FalseUseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEThe setting that I believe got me the best winds was when I turned TAF off. I also load and process my flight plan before departure.Jim

Same as mine except for LimitSurfaceWinds. I do not see great wind shits either, just a slow change in the FS data.Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Support

Guest Ken_Salter

:-lol yeah that's what I thought about the wind too...I'll try some different settings and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

Guest JMV

same problem im having now too as well,im flying from CYYZ-EGLL ACA848 AIRBUS A330-343X and im getting aggressive wind change,.I dont know if i can sleep on this flight but i sure would like to fix this problem.[problem]winds are making my plane or either stall or overspeed,.my guess would be that the winds aloft arent graduated to smoothness.

Guest rcritz

While I haven't been crashed by it, I have also seen the strong yaws and very large airspeed jumps (e.g. +/- 25-30kts) for no apparent reason. From reading another post this afternoon, I'm going to try the next flight with wake turbulence turned off. I have a registered FSUIPC and have it set to seriously smooth wind transitions. It has had no effect on the problem.

Guest Ken_Salter

I turned off wake turbulence.I flew from Mobile, AL (KMOB) to Chicago O'Hare. I still had the occasional wind "blast" but the plane could handle it.It was snowing around the Chicago area...the radar showed it! Plus, the clouds were beatuiful. It was the best weather I had seen yet in MSFS 2K4.