Sign in to follow this  

Public Gold Beta?

Guest jase439

*lol* What exactly is a "gold beta"? Is that like genuine 24 carat gold electroplating?Love PAI...but that terminology slays me. Reminds me of Captain Sim's "Gold Technical Release". Can't we call a spade a spade and simply say "it's a beta release?"JPS. Before I go reaching for my flame retardant suit - do realize that I am completely appreciative of what PAI contributes to the hobby. Great group of guys. Great project. And I'm sure this latest release (gold or silver plated as it may be) will be equally successful as their past works. I can't help but poke fun at this recent candy-coating of "beta" terminology, though. Sorry :) Is beta really such a bad thing that we need to adorn it with flowery adjectives(especially in freeware)?

I find these things funny too...course nothings sacred...how bout beta? That's all "greek" to me! My current favorite is the phrase "open letter", as thou there is a different type of bulliten board posting that is a letter, and yet even thou its posted for all to see, the normal viewer isn't REALLY supposed to look at it. But....as long as its an OPEN letter...YOOHOO! We can ALL read it! :-))B

>Sorry Is beta really such a bad thing that we need to adorn it >with flowery adjectives(especially in freeware)? Yea it does sound a bit over the top.I assume they were trying to say it was the final Beta.Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

Guest SlimDady

Heh i thought the same thing.But who really cares. I dont care what they call it. "Big gay al's Big gay Flaming PAI installer"All that matters is that its so cool and free.PAI team kicks #####.

Guest jase439

You miss my point entirely, but I will walk you through the finer points anyway. When a product goes gold, it is said to be in its finished publishable "non-beta" form (i.e. this release is complete - ready for market...ready for production). The use of the term "gold beta" belongs in the same family as "military intelligence".

Guest frankcubillos

Gold Beta......Like I mentioned in the site...It has been tested by our beta team and has passed their muster. By having a public beta it allows us to test many different system configurations and set-up's, just to be sure that its of the quality you have grown to expect from PAI.What ever you call it, the installer works. Sorry our choice of words did not please you.----Walks off shaking his head in disbelief-----http://projectai.com/images/frankpai.jpg

Sorry our choice of words did not please you. ----Walks off shaking his head in disbelief-----[/i]Oh, you grumpy old bugger, Frank. Jase's posts were clearly "tongue-in-cheek"! This is not like you at all - don't take it so seriously, mate, it's just a bit of fun. :-lol;http://jdtllc.com/images/RCbeta.jpg

Guest Frank Betts

LOL LOL Military Intelligence, Now thats funny! Jason your killin' me!

Guest frankcubillos

Sorry our choice of words did not please you. >----Walks off shaking his head in disbelief----- >[/i] >>Oh, you grumpy old bugger, Frank. Jase's posts were clearly >"tongue-in-cheek"! This is not like you at all - don't take >it so seriously, mate, it's just a bit of fun. :-lol >>;http://jdtllc.com/images/RCbeta.jpg Old far t not yet ;-)Lack of coffee that early in the mornin, yep! :-lol All better now :-)Military intelligence? Isn't that an oxymoron? :-lolHey who you calling a moron? :-outta http://projectai.com/images/frankpai.jpg

"Heh i thought the same thing. But who really cares. I dont care what they call it. "Big gay al's Big gay Flaming PAI installer" All that matters is that its so cool and free. PAI team kicks #####."I VOTE FOR THIS NAME! LOL what do ya think Frank? LOLROTFLMAO!Michael http://www.geocities.com/res052cd/cmhbanner.gif

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest rogue1

You know having been in Military Intelligence, this joke is getting pretty old. :-) What is a joke though is what our civilian government chooses to do with that information!Jim

Guest B52Drivr

Hmmm,I'll assume that the 'Military Intelligence' comment was done 'tongue in cheek' . . . Then again, some of the 2nd Lt's I've met probably fit right into that catagory. Nevermind . . . Carry on!Clayton T. DopkeMajor, USAF (retired)"Drac"B52Drivr@aol.com

Guest jase439

*lol* Of course ;-) We love PAI (with or without coffee) and our "military intelligence" too, Lots of sloppy wet kisses to both. Let's all gather round now for one happy Teletubby hug.