Sign in to follow this  

AVSIM Library Desktop Utility

So, with 450 downloads through today, what's everyone think? Is it a useful utility or should we abandon it?

This one I have never used before, and I believe your library search module is strong enough.I think the other tool (manage_avlib03.zip) is more useful whereas you can use it in MsAccess and develop it further.For instance, I download quite a lot files from you server (thanks for that by the way) but sometimes I have already downloaded it before on an earlier stage. Most files I have categorized in different directories and some times loose the oversight.With some enhancements you can enter up your downloaded files in the MsAccess tool and join it with the Avsim library files. In extend to that you can see what has already been downloaded and where I can find it. Maybe others share that opinion as well?What I do like is a sort of client-server application which updates me regularly on files I want to keep an eye on when it is uploaded to the library, a news flash system (like a teletext utility as the Dutch television company uses (www.omroep.nl, dutch).Saves you some datatraffic hopefully!Good luck

Hi Tom,I just tried the new desktop utility and think it's extremely helpfull as it separates downloads by catagory for FS2004. This makes it much easyier to view potential downloads by catagory. Very helpfull!!!!!In my case I use a telephone modem to connect to the internet. What I'm doing is to start my internet session by double clicking on the utility's shortcut,entering my internet name and password and thus go right to the download section for FS2004 - just what I want. Then when I'm finished searching and downloading, I click on "Load Avsim Online" and go on from there. By the way, Avsim has been my home page for some time now.When I first read your post about this utility, I did,'t know what it was. I finally did a search and displayed it and then downloaded it.Suggestion: There may be others who would be interested in the utility but didn't notice it in the download section of the main page. Perhaps a short news blurb on the main page about the utility would generate even more interest.This utility is just another example of how you folks at Avsim constantly try to improve an already great site! Many thanks for your efforts.Howard

Many thanks, Tom - I like it. I'm still on FS2002 (holding off FS2004 until I upgrade my machine...)but I tailored the utility simply by editing the html file changing the '2004's to '2002's.Cheers, John.4m NW of EGHI (Southampton UK)FS2002 Standard on Intel PIII 733 MHz, 256MB with 32M GeForce2MX graphics and Windows ME