Sign in to follow this  
Guest WorkingStiff

How do you debug FS2002? Can't start it....

Out of the blue yesterday FS2002 won't get past the splashscreen. You can hear the HD chug away for a minute or so, but nothing past that. I have defragged the drive, remove/re-installed a scenery package to get it to redo the scenery indexes. Re-installed Mytraffic to get it to redo the traffic.bgl... and nothing works. I had a wonderful flight yesterday morning. When I came back later in the afternoon it would not start.Is there a way to debug to see what it is hanging on? Other than that, I guess it is time to uninstall everything in FS and start all over again... With all that crap I have, there goes a good day of work!Thanks,JohnnyKTUS

Almost 90 pct. of uninstalls can be prevented, but you'll have to search your memory. Anything out of the ordinary you've done during and since your last good FS session? That would have to include both things in FS, and things outside of FS (like devices added or removed from the USB ports, etc). Most times, you'll find the culprit.The other thing you can try, is to create a copy of your modules folder and its contents, then remove all non-FS default modules. You can identify most of the non-FS ones by their date, and by their properties (by right clicking them). If FS works with only the default modules, you can usually find which 3rd party app is causing the problem by adding the non-default modules in, one by one, until FS "breaks".Also, if you suspect AI traffic, you can always edit the AI pctg. in FS2002.cfg to 0. I suspect you've already tried renaming the .cfg and letting FS rebuild it, but if you haven't that's another thing to try.-John

That's the funny thing John... I hadn't done anything, changed anything. The other funny thing is that when I started it up (right when it stopped working the first time) it was re-indexing the scenery library. NOTE: I had not added nor removed anything from one session to the next. Whatever FS was doing it was doing it on it's own. I have removed the fs2002.cfg but that didn't help either. This is really weird. I could maybe understand it a little more if MS would pop up an error or something to steer me in the right direction, however it just hangs on the splash screen and dies.JohnnyKTUS

If you reinstalled MyTraffice, you may have corrupted the scenery.cfg file or the scenery.dat file. Try searching your fs2002 for more than one copy of traffic.bgl. You may find different variations such as mytraffic.bgl. Use "traffic" as the search criteria. The only traffic.bgl should be in your fs2002scenedbATCScenery folder. You can have other traffic files but the extensions need to be totally different from *.bgl, such as, traffic_ORIGINAL.BBB. If not, you confuse the scenery engine.

Guest jase439

I agree. This sounds like a bunk traffic.bgl file. After making sure scenery.cfg is not corrupt, I would restore the original traffic.bgl file, delete all files in your FS2002 folder (and subfolders) named scenery.dat, restart FS, and let it rebuild all the scenery indices again.J

Thanks for all the input! :)What finally worked was Jase's thought about deleting all the scenery.dat files. Whatever it was, that where the problem was. I don't know how it will effect 3rd party apps, but hopefully they all rebuilt too!It starts up and I am good to go now!Thanks again!JohnnyKTUS

jerrycwo4The 'horse is already out of the barn', but had you had the program, "GO BACK" installed on you computer, you could have taken your computer back a few days BEFORE your problem started, then, you would NOT have the problem you have now. I have this program on both of my computers and use it about once a week to fix problems with Fs2002.GO BACK is put out by ROXIO.jerryPS.. I used it yesterday. I had installed the "Ibervile DC3" which, for some reason locked up my computer a couple of times, so I used GOBACK to a time BEFORE I installed the aircraft and all was well. Yea, I know, this time I could have 'uninstalled' it, but some problems you cann't just uninstall. Do yourself a favor for Christmas, and get GOBACK and use it ! ;)

Hold up, Time out, how did yall fix this problem because I have this problem and I need detailed instructions on fixing this issue. Thanks in Advance.