Sign in to follow this  
Guest Gerard

AS and Wideview 2004 ( general thoughts ) : asked your suggestions

Guest Gerard

Hello everybody,After having read lots of threads I was thinking about a possible configuration that might work with Wideview.As you all perhaps know Wideview uses multiple pc's in a network and the client pc's are uses as outside view pc's.The idea of As on a seperate pc did give that idea.Only I am not sure if this is possible.Therefor here the description and all suggestions are welcome.Server with FS :As installed and drive mapped to sharingWideserver installedIn the As folder an extra Fs9data folder and in that folder a wheather folderIn the wheather folder a copy of the Fs2004 icao pos.bin fileAs path set to ASFs2004 path set to the wheather folder in ASClients with Fs :Wideclient installedNormally when the Fs server had no Fs installed this would be the configuration where the client Fs pc's where getting there wheather from.By setting the FS path to the wheather folder it can sent wheather data to other pc's Fs.What I am hoping is that because the icao pos.bin file has been placed outside the server's Fs the server also will adjust the wheather to what AS is sending.Later today I will try this, but before trying for hours I wanted to put it here on the forum.Thanks for all suggestion.Gerard Saldenteam Wideview

Hi Gerard,Was about to respond to your e-mail but this is as good a place as any. I appreciate your input on this. I have yet to have any Wideview experience but have been in the process of putting something simple together to test and design a solution.Sharing the source wx data between multiple AS2004 installations will work, but there are going to be problems with consistency on different machines. The occasional random influences will change things up, and you're not going to see the same cloud types, layer altitudes, turbulence, etc...I think the ideal solution involves doing an exact FS9 weather clone. Read in the server wx (for the local 300nm area) exactly as set by FS9 and write it to the clients. The main issue is how to read and set the wx images amongst several machines. This would involve having AS2004 running once on any machine (direct or wideclient to the server FS machine, so wx gets processed and set proper on server) and then separate external apps running on the client wideview machines which read the wx image (shared from AS2004 folder) and then write that same wx image into the local client FS.I think it would work pretty well, but I'll have to try it and see! I should have some time to spend on it over the next couple weeks. Thanks again for your input, and I hope to have something for you soon!Damian ClarkHiFi Simulation SoftwareDeveloper of ActiveSkyhttp://www.hifisim.comhttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004betateam.jpg

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies