Sign in to follow this  

Starting Private Pilot tomorrow

Don't know about the US, but at least here in the Netherlands IR costs about the same again on top of your PPL.Unless you plan to fly a lot in marginal VMC and at night that might not be worth it (especially with PPL costing about

First of all, I would like to thank all of you for your well wishes towards my new goal as a Private Pilot. I did have my lesson today and it was fantastic. I logged 2.0 hours in the Warrior. We took of from Runway 35 at KOWD (Norwood Municipal airport) I did the take off all by myself and climbed to 1000 feet and was cleared to the south. I was AMAZED at how similar it is in FS2k2 as it is in real life. Seeing the Boston Skyline and all of the familar scenery on 2k2 was astounding! My instructor was impressed with my confidence and asked me if I had flown before. I had to confess that I had hundreds of hours in the MS 2k2 and have been using the Dreamfleete Warrior and cessna! He told me to keep using the sim, because it works! We climbed up to 2,000 feet and went out to the practice area near Gillete stadium where my SuperBowl Champs NE Patriots play!It was cool to see our new state of the art stadium from the air!We practiced slow flight,climbs,desents,engine out procedures, turns,steep turns, wow those are fun! and even straight ahead stalls. (those were a little scary)but fun too. so after two hours all I can say is OH MY GOD, it is beautiful up there! This is going to be a blast! We headed back to KOWD for landing and I aced it! Smooth as silk. We had to be careful on the brakes though as the runway was a bit slick and was getting icy. The runway was also newly paved so there was no room for errors.Thanks everyone! I'll send a report on my next flight which will be on tuedsday. I have ground school on Sunday. I would be flying Sunday, but we are expecting some bad weather to blow in over the weekend!Take care God Bless! AVSIM is the best!MikeFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Weather is looking better for Sunday!!Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Guest Stratus_Fractus

Wow, took off and landed on your first flight, congrats! :-)

Guest pilot_guru

good luck with your training. You are now entering a world which is a world of its own. You won't look back but only progress further and further.This is a start to a fantastic life and passtime. You will have memories of these intial training days that will live with you forever, and yes, you will be able to look back and SMILE !!I still remember, with fondness, my training all those years ago.Stay safe, listen to your Instructor and CFI and enjoy !!!Keep the blue side up !cheersDavid

I agree with most that has already been posted, however the memories of my first flight has beckoned a response.Ah yes, the first instruction. Hopefully your instructor will have a better attitude than mine at Pensacola. Anyway, a couple of points to ponder. First, remember this initial feeling of apprehension and respect every time you fly, it will keep you from taking the simplest of flight checks for granted. Always remember you are flying with that constant evolving and ever changing medium (no, not your wife) known as weather. Get as much experience in as many weather situations as you can. It is just as important to know how to avoid a situation as to know how to get out of one.All cliche aside, best of luck you have just broadened your horizon, literally!

Wow, you're learning in a PA-28-161! I like Warrior's a lot; they're great trainers. Too bad you don't get to experience the "closeness" of a 150/152!

Good choice of plane to train in! This year I discovered that my legs are too long for a C150/152 :( If the instructor is flying and I try to take my feet off the rudder pedals, my knees get stuck under the yoke!

Lesson 2I just got back from flight training. We took off from KOWD runway 28 and head out south to Plymouth, MA. Both I and my instructor were mentioning how clear and smooth it was and no one was flying yet (it was 0800) when all of a sudden, buddabing baddaboom.. boom, heavy turbulence hit us and was bouncing us around pretty good. We had to head back north because the turbulence over the water was pretty bad. I practiced slow flight 55 knots with full flaps, and slow flight 65 kts with no flaps. Then we did a few stalls, (those are really fun!) Then the damn wind kicked up again so we did a few Steep 45 degree turns maintaining alt and speed. After a couple of those we headed back to KOWD and I made a pretty good landing into a cross wind. Then back to the FBO for an hour of video and ground school.have a good week allFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!

>4) If your building time for your instrument rating (you >need 50hrs of x-ctry and 40 hrs of "simulated IFR" time) >hook up with another PPL and put one under the hood. You can >both log PIC time while the one is under the hood (one is >PIC flying although flying blind, and the other is PIC >looking for traffic) and split the cost. Let me see if I am reading this correct... for some reason this doesn't seem right to me, but I instruct in Canada, not the US.From what I read there, it says 2 guys can log PIC time on a single pilot aircraft who are both PPLs?? And the guy under the hood can log PIC and simulated instrument time from someone without an instrument rating?!?!?! That doesn't seem right to me..how do you enter that in the journey log? Mr X and Mr Y both flew from point A to B at the same time, in the same plane, and both were PIC on a single pilot aircraft? In Canada, the rules are like this, and I'd assume they are similar in the states.Of the 40 hours required, 20 may be on an approved simulator, of the remaining 20, at least 5 must be from a licensed flight instructor, and the remaining 15 from a qualified IFR flight instructor. Qualified IFR instructor being a CPL/ATPL holder with a valid IFR with at least 500 hours PIC, 100 on aircraft group, and 10 PIC on type, or a flight instructor with a valid IFR, if Multi engine, instructor needs 50 multi, 10 PIC on type.Like I said it may be different in the states, but I don't think its that easy (or cheap) to build time!!Chris

Guest crashing_pilot

great mate....good luck....make sure you tell us if you made it ;-)

I just got back from my lesson. The weather was beautiful.KOWD 181653Z 31005KT 10SM CLR 01/M10 A3045 RMK AO2 SLP311 T00111100We went out to the practice area for stalls, power on and off. They went rather well. Then we went to Mansfield to do two Touch and goes. My landings were awesome. Then we went back to KOWD for one more full stop, which I did by myself.Tomorrow I fly again and will be doing Touch and goes for about an hour and a half. My instructor thinks I'll be soloing before New years!! He is starting to call me a Flying Tiger, because he says I have the eye of the tiger!I want this sooooo bad I can taste it! I'm so excited!!(but not over confident) I feel like Im getting command of the aircraft.Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Guest JZL 1

Congratulations. I took the plunge in July. I fly about once a week and preparing for the cross country phase. I just love it!You may be interested in the Learning to Fly article on "the other" flightsim site. I hear an update is coming out soon.

I have now logged 14.2 hours this month and should be going solo next week. I will be flying again tomorrow, as I am trying to fly everyday if possible. I am having so much fun with this it is unbelievable! Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!

I have logged 14 hours this month and I try to fly everyday if possible. I should be going solo this week. I am looking forward to starting my cross country flights real soon. This is a gas! I am having a balst and learning so much. My CFI says I am flying very well. We did about 10-15 touch and goes today as well as emergency procedures and some stalls and slips on final.It was a lot of fun!Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!Happy New year all!