Sign in to follow this  

Starting Private Pilot tomorrow

Your CFI must have nerves of steel to do stalls on final!!I get petrified when my students get below 60 on final!Congrats on your success! Keep it up!

No we didin't do stalls on final. Just the slips.Well we do stall when we are landing of course.Pilots do it with flair!Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Guest KenG

In the US, there is a distinct difference between ACTING as PIC and logging time as PIC. If you are flying with another PPL and are under the hood (or foggles), you both get to log the time because the safety pilot is acting as PIC while you are the sole manipulator of the controls (therefore, able to log the time as PIC).The FAA requires more than one pilot in a plane when the one manipulating the controls has a view limiting device on. Therefore, the other pilot (safety pilot) serves that function and because he/she is a required crew member, they get to log the time.

Guest KenG

Looks like you're progressing quite well, Michael. Things can go by pretty quickly at times and there is a LOT to learn and integrate into your book of flying skills.I got my PPL in April and passed my instrument checkride on 12/19. I can safely say that the IR training made me a much better and more confident pilot. I'm not planning on busting through the worst of weather now that the FAA says I can. Instead, I know that I can handle the plane when conditions deteriorate to the point where VFR is not possible. The most important thing my CFII taught me during my IR training was that the process was not just to teach you HOW to fly into a cloud, but when NOT to. Getting your IR is one of the best things you can do. However, take some time off after your PPL and enjoy the ticket. A lot of my confidence came from all those cross-country PIC hours I logged while I was the only pilot in the plane.

UPDATE:Just finished flying another 1.3 hrs. We went back to cover slow flight, stalls, emergency procedures. We did a simulated emergency landing and actually went down to 500 MSL. Then we climbed up to 3000 to practice some emerergency desents. That was a fun ride swooping down from 3000 to 1500 ft. Headed back to KOWD for a nice straight in appraoch to 35 for a smoooth landing! Next flight is Thursday. I have to go for a check ride with the Chief pilot before I solo. I hear he is a Bast**D. I should keep my mouth shut and fly!Happy New year all!Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Keep up the good work............and enjoy!I like the idea of flying frequently. In a study that the FAA did some years ago, they found that the lesson retention from one day to the next (for a low time pilot) was 60%. That is to say, of the things that you learned yesterday, you must repeat 40% over again as if not having done it before. The percentage goes up as the hours go up, but one hour a week is really a waste of money.I would also suggest that some aerobatic time, highly unusual attitudes, would be helpful. I really didn't feel like I had complete control of the airplane until I had one on it's back, and then got it upright again.Keep 'em flyin.......

Not to be too much of a CFI here but.....since you are progressing swiftly, do two things NOW!!1) Get your medical!!!!!!!2) Pass the written exam!!!!!!!There is nothing worse than these two minor things holding students back.

I have my 3rd class medical and Student Pilot certificate. I have been studying hard for the Written. Send some questions if you would like. That might be a big help!ThanksFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!

If you do not have the gleim or jeppesen study manuals, you can get free written practice exams atwww.mywrittenexam.com...but if you really want a question...What is the proper aileron position when taxiing with a right quartering tailwind? right quartering headwind?What does the following mean in a standard METAR?RMK A01 RAE42SNB42

What is the proper aileron position when taxiing with a right quartering tailwind?use down aileron on right wing and down elavator.right quartering headwind? use up aileron on right wing and nuetral elavatorWhat does the following mean in a standard METAR?RMK A01 RAE42SNB42remarks rain ending and snow began at 42 minutes past the hourthanks for the questionsmikeFavorite area to Fly--Alaska!

Thanks for that info Jeff!I want to send you a copy of my log book for December 2002 12/13/02 steep turns, slow flight straight and level emergency procedures time 2.0 12/15/02 straight level, slow flight steep turns, climbs, descents time 1.4 12/18/02 Power on and off stalls, remark (great job!) normal 4 take offs and landings time 1.2 12/19 7 Normal take offs and landings time 1.7 12/22 X country orientation OWD-ORE-ASH-OWD Two, Cross wind take offs landings 1.9 12/27 10 Normal take offs and landings 1.8 12/29 Emergency procedures , engine failure, go arounds power on / off stalls take off and landings TWO 2.2 12/30 emergency failure, slow flight, power on / off stalls, emergency descents (THOSE WERE FUN) 1.3 I am scheduled for two hours on Thursday but the forecast is for freezing rain and snow. L I have not gotten into weight and balance yet, but I have taken my take home pre solo test. It has not yet been graded. I will be having ground on Thursday if the weather is not good. I may need some help on memorizing all the different emergency procedures, maybe you could send me some quizzes on that?Favorite area to Fly--Alaska!

If you're in a 172 an engine "flow" procedure is what you need to memorize for an engine out.If there is no fire/dire emergency with a power loss:1) Pitch for best glide (~65kts in a 172)2) Find a field/airport/street etc to land3) Goto #2 and circle4) Figure out why engine stopped (here is where the flow is)Start at the bottom and make sure fuel is on both.Mixture richCarb Heat onCheck MagsPrimer in and lockedView engine gaugesAttempt restartIf all fails before landing close mixture or fuel and open doorsAll the while maintaining best glide and keeping your field in sight.If you have time while descending you may try 121.50 and squaking 7700.If there is a fire/dire emergency:1) Bank 30deg/pitch down 20deg (emergency descent)2) For a fire take the speed into the yellow arc to "blow out" the fire (a DE told me this, however others have differing opinions)3) Find a field and land ASAP4) Follow above flow for troubleshooting (if it is an engine fire you may want to turn the fuel off and cut the mixture during the dive and when the fire goes out try restarting)Of course ALWAYS refer to the back of the checklist (usually where the emergency procedures are) to make sure you have not forgotten something.Its always helpful to chair fly for a little bit. Sit in the airplane and practice this flow (it's basically bottom right to right to left).Hope this helps.