Sign in to follow this  
Guest Bart458

Dial up problem

Guest Bart458

Hi When I use AS2004 after a while it disconnects my dial up connection,I have just tried flying with FS real world weather and there isnt a problem but when I use AS2004 again it disconnects me.Can anyone help me as I find AS weather FAR superior but its no good if I cant stay connected to the inet?Bart

Hi Bart,In AS what is your download interval set at? Some dial-up ISPs require some Internet activity every XX minutes. That could be it. So lower the interval to 10 or 15 minutes. Or it may be the quality of your connection to the weather server. If you do normal surfing do you get many disconnects?Hope this helps,JimActiveSky Supporthttp://www.hifisim.com/images/as2004proudsupporter.jpg

Guest Bart458

Hi Jim,Ill give it a go,but I very rarely get disconnected when surfing.Since I only have dial up, addons can sometimes take 8 or 9 hrs to Dload and I frequently start a download before I go to bed and have in the morning.BartJust checked Jim and its already set at 10 mins :(Bart

Hi Bart,Not sure what is going on. You may need to change a setting on your dial-up connection to prevent disconnects. You can try a 5 minute update inverval as well, it may help. Let us know!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Guest Bart458

Hi Damian,I tried setting my update time to 5 mins like you suggested and still the problem persists.The ONLY time I get these disconnects is when Im using active sky,If I use FS built in RWW its fine and I can complete any flight,anywhere,any length of time with out a disconnect.I am having trouble logging in to this forum,I got in to post here last week and then when I came back to reply to you I couldnt log in due to some sort of cookie problem supposedly.I sent an email to AS support which was replied to by Jim,he said he had passed the message on to you but I havent had any other reply.I came here now and was able to log in,so dont know what is going on or if ill be able to log in next time so can you please respond via email as I cant use AS2004 at the moment.Thanks Bart

Guest Bart458

Gday Jim,Ive just logged in here again,so ill keep using the forum and just wait for Damian to reply here.Thanks mate :)

Hi Bart,I really don't know what is going wrong. AS2004 doesn't ever "disconnect" from the internet - It simply uses your existing online connection. I have not heard of this problem before. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of dial-up connectivity can help? Have you contacted your ISP? Do you have IE installed? How does your ISP connect you, through standard windows dial-up connection or a special external connector program? Are there settings available to control "inactivity" timeouts? I will research a bit and see if I can come up with anything. Will post back on this thread. Thanks for your help and patience!-Damian

Damian Clark

Guest Bart458

Hi Damian,I havent contacted my ISP cause as Ive said the ONLY time I get disconnected is when using activesky and its not only every now and then its every time I use it.I am using the latest version of IE and yes I connect through the standard windows dial up.I dont have any inactivity timeouts or restricted connection times as I quite often go to bed when downloading large files like UT or DF aircraft etc.As for my patience,no problems mate I realise these things can be tricky and frustrating for not only me but for developers as well,as long as someone is helping me Im happy.I was VERY happy with ASWXRE and am sure Ill be just as happy with AS2004 if we can just get the BL**DY thing to stay connected

Hi Bart,Try this program called PCLightning: http://www.pclightning.com/kiadownload.htmlIt is a small utility (free) that keeps your internet connection alive by sending small requests at regular intervals to prevent any kind of inactivity timeout.Please give it a try and let me know if it solves the problem. If so, we then know what the problem is, and I can update AS2004 to do something similar (without the need for the utility). Thanks!-Damian

Damian Clark

Hi Bart,May I suggest keeping a log file for your modem. Sometimes this can help with tracking down problems with disconnects. If you don't know how to create a log, let me know and I can set you up.Also what kind of modem are you using?Ed

Guest Bart458

Hi guys,I think I may have solved the problem although Im not sure why :-hmmm .Before I start FS I always open task manager and shut down any programs that are running under administrator accept IE.I just ran AS and FS for 20 mins with everything (other programs)running and although my performance was degraded I never got a disconnect.So now I have to try and work out which program is giving me the problem so that I can shut the others down as I only have a 1.3gig Athlon :-( .It seems strange though that I can use FS RWW after shutting down programs running in the background but not AS,so any suggestions would be a big help and thanks for your patience.