Sign in to follow this  

My Iron Knukles DC-9 Opinion

Hummmm....wish I could say i liked it, but I don't right now. It's a weird plane, maybe I just need to fly it more. It's very difficult to get an exact speed down as the mach speed is totally incorrect (or I should say is not factored into your altitude on the airspeed indicator).This plane has the worst landing characteristics out of any plane I've flown in a long time! The thing just balloned and floated like crazy even at 100 knots! Yes I've flown for real and this isn't right! The landing perspective was really strange as well, in flihgt I have to raise the seat a lot, while landing I found I had to lower the seat like crazy!!!Not something I want to worry about when I'm being handed off from Approach to tower on short final.So far, I'm sorry I purchased it. If you are wondering what to get, go with the Fokker 100/70, it's much better and FREE!!!!!

Actually I find the aircraft good but there is freeware out there on par to it, if not better in some cases. On another point, the developers are not very receptive to well intentioned technical constructive criticism. They seem to thrive on praise and drown out critics, on the Flight1 forum at least.Anyway, anyone who is dissatisfied with the DC-9 has 30 days to get a refund, so keep that in mind as well.Cheers,John

Why dont you take your dissatisfaction to the company that made the IK DC-9I will thanks for the link! Don't get me wrong, I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this, especially the way the view seems to change so dramatically between landing and crusing.I'm a big time Flight 1 supporter, I have their 421 which is awesome and I will buy the Merdian when that comes out.

Anyway, anyone who is dissatisfied with the DC-9 has 30 days to get a refund, so keep that in mind as well. That's good to know. I'll give it some more work and see how she flies. It's probably just going to take a little getting used to. Oh what about the airspeed indicator... Anyone find a way to tell how fast you are going between that 250K-200K range? It doesn't have any readouts. I ask because I was on VATSIM with this plane and was asked to slow to 220 knots... I had to guess on that speed.

Your totally correct concerning the flight model. This balloning effect seems to only happen for me at certain airports. If you try and land on runway 6 in Roanoke VA. (KROA), you'll get this most if not every time you land. It sucks. I challenge anyone to try it...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Yeah, it happened at JFK for me, but I will have to go back and do some more landings with this plane. I see there was a Service Release download available. If it wasn't for the link to that forum however, I never would have known about it??? Oh well will try it and see what happens tonight. Hell after a few beers, I'm sure I'll get at least one good landing in with this thing ;-))

I posted a remark on this in the Flight1 support forum, hope they fix it....

FS2020 

Well - how does it compare to the Stellan Hillmerby SAS DC9 and Panel? This freeware DC9 panel, while looking differently from the Iron Knuckles version, works very well and gives the correct "feel."I would consider getting the IK DC-9, but I am someone concerned, considering the fact that I only have a Celeron 566 (overclocked to 638 Mhz) and only 256MB (my board doesn't recognize PC133 memory, due to being an i810 and not an i810E, so the 512MB of PC133 memory I bought at Compusa for $28 after rebate still only shows up as 256MB of memory...) I bought the DF737 - and it looks great and I love the realistic FMS and AFDS. The problem is that it runs *so* slow (will all scenery sliders turned all the way down, every other non-essential program not running, etc.) Due to the fact that it seems to eat up cpu cycles, the autoflight systems always seem to be playing catchup - it shoots right through a 4000 ft altitude set in the MCP during departure from KIAH (almost all of the KIAH DPs set 4000 ft as the max altitude unless cleared by ATC). When it gets to a higher altitude, it still overshoots by about 500 to 1500 ft and spends the next ten minutes porpoising until it gets to the desired altitude. Of course, without the FMS running, it behaves a little bit better.Is the IK DC-9 just as hard on the cpu? If so, I'll just wait until I get a new computer in the upcoming months.

Every GMAX plane out there is better than the DF737 when it comes to frame rates, IK DC9 included. If I were you I would buy the Ariene 737s and use them with the DF panel and sounds.

FS2020 

Is the IK DC-9 just as hard on the cpu? If so, I'll just wait until I get a new computer in the upcoming monthsHumm... I'm not sure? I don't have the dreamfleet, but would assume it to be more CUP intensive than this DC-9. I haven't noticed any framerate hit, but I'm runing a P4 2.4 G machine, so it's not fair to say that to you considering your system specs.