Sign in to follow this  
misgav

Jeppesen vs. AS wxRE weather aloft

Buying a new weather addon is a peasurable act. With ASwxRE installed in my fs2002 (and in fs9), I'm certainly getting great atmospheric effects. Just love that haze and smooth transitions from area to area.Here comes the big but...With the default fs weather download from Jeppesen. I get accurate winds aloft anywhere around the globe, or at least wherever there's a weather station nearby.With AS I've noticed that, according to the manual, the winds aloft are provided by U.S stations only, and flying elsewhere produces 'simulated' winds. As far as I can see, 'simulated' is just that. With the Jeppesen data, I get a more realistic flying envirinment. Can I get around this limitation? Is there any way I get accurate winds aloft in Europe and the Middle East, where I fly mostly?BTE, I'm wondering whether FS Meteo also has this limitation.Eytan

Hi Eytan,wxRE v1.92 supports world-wide winds aloft. Make sure you get the update!-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Sorry to jump in here, but is this correct for us FS 2002 users as well? I mean the winds alofts issue. The impression I had was that wxRE v1.92 was for FS9, and that it did not bring any value to FS2002.Please could you kindly clarify?Thank you in advance!

Damian,I am using version 1.92.Here's what happens:1. I start fs 2002, plan a flight from EGLL to LLBG, using high alt airways.2. I star ASwxRE, let it load the weather. I check by inputting EGLL and pressing GET. Yes, I get the metar, taf, and winds aloft for EGLL,(is this 'simulated' or real, I'm not sure).3. I go to wx briefing, fill in dep/arr points, and a few random airports in between, which are pretty close to the flight plan-EHAM, EDDM and LGAT. The briefing continues, and the screen shows surface weather at all points requested.4. The winds aloft section starts running, checking SFO, SLC and other U.S (??) points. Finally the message for all the stations is the same-"SFO-ORD DFW,etc winds area report not available".So , summing up, I have winds aloft for EGLL only. Am I doing something wrong here.EytanP4 2.4 Ghz512 DDRGeForce 2 MX 200 64 MB30 GB hdfsuipc 2.975I'm enclosing the wxre.ini settings.//wxRE configuration file - be careful with edits here[General]WXREOfflinePath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREVoiceExportPath = C:Program FilesActiveSky wxREOperationMode = OnlineDefaultOfflineFile = expcycle12Z.wxdDisableCloudTransitions = FalseDisableMessages = FalseLowBandwidthWinds = FalseExportMetars = TrueAutoTimeZoneDetection = TrueMETARUpdateInterval = 15FDUpdateInterval = 45UpdateMETAROnNewStation = TrueUseShortTermTAF = FalseWindsAloftSimulation = TrueFS2004Writes = FalseIdlePriority = FalseVATSIMMetars = FalseDefaultForceRange = 80ZuluConversion = 2RainVisReduction = TrueOvercastHorizonVis = TrueDisableForceWindUpdates = FalseTAFProcessing = TrueWakeTurb = TrueDisableUpdatesWhenForced = FalseStartPaused = FalseCloudTransitionInterval = 30MinimumCloudThickness = 200UseSystemTime = TrueDisableCAVOKClouds = FalseProxyAddress = NONEProxyPort = 80FS2004Path = E:Program FilesMicrosoft GamesFlight Simulator 9

Hi Eytan,Sounds like everything is OK. The ASwxRE briefing system does not support reporting your enroute winds aloft (outside the US). It can only display US-based winds from NOAA FD reports. This pertains to the briefing report only.However, in the wx engine, your actual winds are coming from the international RAOB (actual air resounding reports). This is not "simulated data" but rather actual real-world data.There are a variety of resources on the net for receiving international winds aloft forecast charts or the actual RAOB data. This one has a great easy interface for looking up RAOB winds: http://weather.uwyo.edu/upperair/sounding.html.Hope that helps!Also, to answer the question about 2002 and v1.92. v1.92 is currently the latest supported version and we recommend that all wxRE users have it, regardless of FS version. Technically there aren't many differences between 1.91 and 1.92 when using FS2002, but for consistency, especially when troubleshooting or having a problem, you should always use the latest supported version.-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Glad to know that I'm getting real conditions aloft outside the U.S. I think you folks should think of a way to get a pre-flight report of upper winds in non U.S stations. It would help making flight planning more accurate! After all, we all want to avoid those hurricane force winds at FL370. Gotta save avgas.Eytan